Pope Innocent I's Epistle XXIV

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Religious Fanatic, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Why can't I find this online? Allegedly it contains the Pope's declaration that Antioch was only assigned power over a diocese and not a province. Romanists use it to prove their doctrine than Nicaea canon 6 implicitly said that Rome was the supreme see, yet I cannot find this to read or verify that. Does anyone know where it is or if it is true that this letter supports Roman supremacy?

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Canon 6 Let the ancient customs in Egypt, Libya and Pentapolis prevail, that the Bishop of Alexandria have jurisdiction in all these, since the like is customary for the Bishop of Rome also. Likewise in Antioch and the other provinces, let the Churches retain their privileges. And this is to be universally understood, that if any one be made bishop without the consent of the Metropolitan, the great Synod has declared that such a man ought not to be a bishop. If, however, two or three bishops shall from natural love of contradiction, oppose the common suffrage of the rest, it being reasonable and in accordance with the ecclesiastical law, then let the choice of the majority prevail.​

https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~wstevens/FYStexts/nicaeacanons.pdf

3. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I understand that, but what about the letter? Some are saying Innocent tried to establish papal supremacy early on.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Shouldn't that be all the proof you need that what you were told was fabricated?...
    If anything like that actually existed don't you think the Romanists would trumpet it from every roof and website?

5. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    The letter supposedly contains this from Innocent:

"We note that this privilege was given to Antioch not so much on account of the city’s magnificence as because it is known to be the first seat of the first Apostle where the Christian religion received its name, where a great meeting of Apostles was held, and which would not yield to the see of the city of Rome, except that the latter rejoices in having received and retained to the end that honor which the former obtained only in transition.”

References cite "Innocent I, Epistle XXIV, 1. Migne, P.L. vol 20, 547".

I don't know what the reference is, exactly.