Take Communion at a Baptist Church? (ACNA)

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Patrick Slagle, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Patrick Slagle

Patrick Slagle New Member

United States
    Does the ACNA have an official stance on whether someone should commune at a Baptist church or not?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    It looks to me like a very particular case, and as the canons in the ACNA are still forming at this point (and canons by rights should form over decades, if not centuries altogether!), you're probably looking for too specific of an answer to too specific of a question...

3. Patrick Slagle

Patrick Slagle New Member

United States
    Thanks for the answer. I guess I forget how new the ACNA is.

Do they have criteria for what constitutes a valid sacrament? For instance, in the Lutheran church where I come from it's the Word and the proper element(s). As such many Lutherans deny that a Eucharist with grape juice is a valid sacrament.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I would say the traditional Anglican teaching is our guidepost here... right, the word and the elements

Magistos likes this.
  5. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I would say the word and the elements. There is the occasional and very rare Baptist church that uses wine, in which case I would point out that the Sacrament is not limited by the defects of the priest, as I understand it (I'm tired). It's an interesting question, considering my background as a Baptist before becoming an Anglican. I at first said to myself that I would still at my parent's church with them, but I think that might be the only case, and admittedly I haven't had to face the issue since becoming an Anglican.

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Jesus said "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

It is this that defines Christian fellowship, not whether the wine is alcoholic, the bread leavened or the celebrant 'qualified'. Nothing wrong of course in trying to ensure those other important items are in order, but fellowship is the deciding factor of whether the communion is in accord with Christ's institution.

Any communion with those who do not love Christ is an invalid communion. John 14:15. If they love Christ, then communion with them should be acceptable.

Scottish Knight likes this.