The ACNA and Exorcism

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Patrick Slagle, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Patrick Slagle

Patrick Slagle New Member

United States
    This is my first forum post.

I am wondering, what is the position of the ACNA on exorcism? Do they perform them? I heard somewhere that the bishops are encouraged to be involved in this ministry.

Any information on the ACNA Pposition of exorcism would be appreciated.

2. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    As far as I am aware, exorcism within the ACNA occurs rarely, and is only done when specifically authorized by the Bishop, as per the Book of Occasional Offices 2003. It is always important to eliminate other options before immediately jumping to the conclusion that an exorcism is necessary, and there are procedures in place at least in my diocese (Fort Worth) to ensure that no abuses occur.

3. Edward McGinnis

Edward McGinnis New Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Puritan
    The ACNA is an umbrella term, there are hundreds of churches under the ACNA, personally my English Reformed Church (Puritanism) does not believe in Exorcism.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Who or what is that? And “personally”?.. how can you take a church’s attributes on yourself personally?

And what does Puritanism have to do with this? As we all know Puritans historically have been some of the biggest believers in witchcraft, possessions, and such...

Anyway the question is not what someone “personally” thinks but whether there are authorized exorcism rites among the Province as a whole

5. Edward McGinnis

United States of America
    Religion:
    Puritan
    The English Reformed Church is a modern Puritan and or Congregationalist sect of the ACNA. Modern Puritan doesn't believe so heavily into the Witchcraft and burning at the stake. Of course we do believe in Demons and Demonic Possession, but we believe that only faith can remove a demon, to take it out it must have gotten in. To remove the demon is something you must do yourself, to muster that strength in Christ to repel it. Me saying "Personally" is a reason because when you say "Exorcism" I think of the typical Priest/Minister coming to the house to remove it, as I have said before, you must remove it yourself through your own strength.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Hello Edward. You mention that the "English Reformed Church is a modern Puritan and or Congregationalist sect of the ACNA." yet I cannot locate any information online about it. Do you have any links or other information regarding your church and its connection to the ACNA? How does congregationalism work in an episcopal framework?

Edward McGinnis and anglican74 like this.
  7. Edward McGinnis

United States of America
    Religion:
    Puritan
    Hello Sir, the English Reformed Church is not a centralized church but more of a movement in the Church of England just like the original Puritans were, who wish to purify the Anglican Church, any Anglican Church could hold Puritans, but there are no official churches or websites yet. And for your second question, the movement sees the removal of the Episcopal framework in favor of a Congregationalist one.

8. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
  9. neminem

neminem Active Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Lucky for the guy. possessed by legion, to have Jesus arrive to exorcise him. See Luke 8:27-33
    Hard to imagine Jesus saying to the guy "Where is your faith?"

Fr. Brench likes this.
  10. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    :laugh: