ACNA vs PEARUSA music

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by Isodore, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Isodore

Isodore New Member

US
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I started long ago in TEC, confirmed by Michael Curry no less. I started going to AMIA church which located three blocks my from house, and later became a PEARUSA. My formal training is on a classical instrument mostly in baroque music.

The music was mostly what I call contemporary, taken from radio play list, with some good deviations, and low church hymns. I played some but found it frustrating.

Now I’m in a PEARUSA plant. I decided not to play because I realized I don’t like contemporary Christian music. Mostly the esthetics. Hard to decide about theology of the genre because there’s not much there to discuss.

I’m wondering if in ACNA churches, if it is non-classical, is it at least eclectic, e.g. roots music?

For my sacred private listening, it’s early music and Bach choral stuff.

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    In my experience it varies since ACNA is in "mission mode" at this present moment in history... I feel like each plant is doing what it must to succeed (within bounds of doctrine of course)... So you won't find a single music style that covers every single parish

That being said, the music played at the ACNA synods of bishops and the provincial assembly (ie. the highest levels) are good representatives for where we are: that being a combination of the historic hymnody and some from the more classy contemporary stuff

Isodore likes this.
  3. Isodore

Isodore New Member

US
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks for your insight.

I’m finding the music, long sermons and lack of prayer books and never any vestments - liturgy printed in bulletin - make me feel like it’s more of a community church esthetic. Except of course for Eucharist. Except for refugee TEC, most new people are from evangelical low church and may feel its already too much “formality.” So maybe the right balance. The only time I saw vestments in old church was during ordinations. Reminded me of my mom and good dishes for guests.

Shane R likes this.
  4. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I should note that PEARUSA is far from representative from your standard ACNA parish... They come out of a deeply charismatic/pentecostal TEC community, with influxes from the Vineyard movement

I would esteem it to be a serious misfortune if PEAR was your only available option nearby.. I would be surprised if they give proper respect even to the ACNA Catechism and Prayerbook, which is as close as you get to authoritative texts

In any typical ACNA gathering, you have vestments, prayerbooks, liturgies... that's "why" one is an Anglican (on a superficial level)

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The continuing movement standardized on the 1940 hymnal long ago. I don't think it is that good. In fact, I think the 1982 TEC hymnal is better.

I spent two years in ACNA. In my experience, it is few and far between the parishes and clergy who care about the hymnal - especially outside of the REC. Most seem to be willing to pay for a CCLI license and sing 'Oceans' every other Sunday.

They've worked up texts and will likely approve a full BCP next year (although some of their constituents will never use it - ahem C4SO). But I don't think the motivation is there to make a hymnal.

6. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I don't think we are at a place where the hymnal will be generated any time soon... after all even the BCP is still in draft form, slated for 2019; the REC has completed their hymnal only just last year (mostly a reprint of the 1940 hymnal, from what I can tell)

But in terms of aesthetic affinity you have every single high visibility ACNA service contain at least one or two of the historic hymns