Sermons in the Anglican Church

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Religious Fanatic, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Are most Anglican services simply repeating what is proscribed in the Prayer Book, or are there actually different sermons taught in every service? The church I want to visit near me is this one:
    http://stgeorgeanglican.org

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    My experience in Anglican, Orthodox, and Catholic parishes, is that the homily is inspired by the gospel reading for the day.

Will_ likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The liturgical year, together with whatever lectionary is in use is normally the basis of the ebb and glow through the year, so there is a structured variation. Sermons are likely to pick up one or more of the readings, the collect, or perhaps an important thing ib the wider world at the time. Once you have a gandle on the basics the ebb and flow of the year is very helpful.

Magistos and Will_ like this.
  4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    :o

Sermons are absolutely not prescribed, and haven’t really been since the sixteenth century (if I have that right)

I have never encountered a mandated sermon or homily text written today

@Botolph makes a good point that the sermons/homilies are normally regulated by the lectionary readings of the day... one can’t just talk on whatever topic at large!

PotterMcKinney, Magistos and Will_ like this.
  5. Janhoi McCallum

Janhoi McCallum New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglicanism
    It is inspired by both the Gospel reading as well as the Old and New Testament reading. Of course the priest in their homily has a bit of flexibility in terms of how they draw out the themes of the subject but it has to be focused usually on the readings.

6. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You would think so but I've heard some random material on occasion, especially when Mother's and Father's day roll around.

As for prescribed sermons: there are jurisdictions that will license the readers to preach sometimes, especially if they are a postulant for holy orders. However, they are not always permitted to write their own material, or if they are, there is a review process with the rector/curate.

7. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    A good point, the latter one... it underlines the element that we aim to lessen 'creativity' in our sermons which is a wholesome perspective on homiletics that is forgotten in evangelical and liberal churches...

You either have the lectionary that you have to follow, submit unto... Or if you are still green, your stuff will be reviewed, and if need be, a pre-written homily will be provided for you

8. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Is prudishness also observed in the Anglican church? Things like slapping a woman for wearing her dress too high or her socks too low, holding the communion cup with your pinky extended, etc.?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  9. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What the...? :confused:

10. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Just joking! :laugh:

11. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    BH....

That's a loaded question, bordering on offensive, full of British, and conservative stereotyping. I'm holding back from deleting it for the moment and asking instead what prompted this? What's your reasoning behind asking this?

Also "Just Joking" after something like that can come across rather...fake.

12. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm assuming your reply is also meant to be tongue-in-cheek! If not, understand that it's not meant to be an insult, but a rather ironic jab at popular cultural misconceptions that Americans often have of the British! That was the point! :p

13. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Bless your heart. :cool: (I'm from Georgia.)

Well, it was reported so I had to ask. Forums don't carry tone very well, you know. :)

14. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Like a maniac who shoots deadly firebrands and arrows,
    so is one who deceives a neighbor
    and says, “I am only joking!” Prov.26:18-19.

We have popular misconceptions over here too. Any hand you can play, we can Trump it. :laugh::clap:

15. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I once joked with a British guy in a chat that Americans were so crazy because we weren't raised with the proper manners of British nannies. I told him how Americans perceived British nannies because of Mary Poppins and the Super Nanny TV show, and after asking why American and British nannies were supposedly different, he (jokingly) said, "OK then, we don't need your nannies. Our nannies are good enough. And if it's true about your nannies, then you people could learn a few things from ours!" :laugh:

Imagine that, people thinking one country's nannies are better than others! :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  16. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    What's a Nanny? I'm one of the 99% of UK subjects who could never afford to have one. :laugh: