Video Games

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Religious Fanatic, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I know many of us here have grown up playing games every now and then at the very least. Many of us probably do not play as much as we used to in our youth, as myself, but I do enjoy a game occasionally. It's been a lifelong occupation, even if I am not as dedicated now to them.

I certainly prefer Japanese video games over more contemporary America/Euro offerings because the west has become too debased. Japanese still maintain some conservative tendencies while being fairly good at game design (though they have unfortunately lost a lot of their power and influence in the wake of western dominance in the industry). You could hardly find many games that were as eloquent in their aesthetics and yet distinct in their game mechanics outside of Japanese ones.

My personal favorite classic game developer is Sega. I have a fondness for their legacy. I still maintain some respect for Nintendo, but they are way too tame for me nowadays (not because they're 'family friendly' as some would say, but in terms of challenge). I do think Sony has the advantage in bringing variety to people, though. Microsoft, well, I owned the first two Xbox systems, but as I said, I am not really big on western stuff. My current obsessions are fighting games. I was never good at them before, but I am getting the hang of it. I don't play the gruesome ones though like Mortal Kombat.

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I have loved playing the Tekken series!... Makes you feel somewhat connected to the historic martial arts :) Have you ever played it?

dariakus likes this.
  3. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    A bit at the arcades, but it's been a long time! But, if you're really interested in games that simulate real martial arts, then look no further than Virtua Fighter! VF5: Final Showdown in the most recent installment in the series. You might remember VF from the arcades years ago, but it's still alive and kicking and played with the other major franchises at the EVO Fighting Championships. The game has progressed in its sense of realism and it looks and plays great! Only complaint is that it might have a steep learning curve compared to the others because of the vast amount of techniques that can be pulled off!

anglican74 likes this.
  4. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Major video game player in my day. Now, with a family, not so much. :D
    I used to be able to beat the AI and hold off ANY challenger with Chun-Li in SFII and any of it's iterations. Sub-Zero was my man, and Tekken was fun as well. I'm trying to think of any video game characters who use Aikido (which I practice), but I doubt there are any.

Played many, many MMOs, side scrollers, of course NCAA Football by EA was my reason for owning an original X-Box.

These days I'm more into puzzle games like "The Room" and it's series.

anglican74 likes this.
  5. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I play as Sakura in Street Fighter Alpha 2.

As for Aikido, you should be pleased to know that Aoi Umenokouji from Virtua Fighter (present since the third installment) practices Aiki-jujutsu which is a derivative of the form.

6. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Well, I'll definitely have to check her out, if at the least to see her form! :) (I've also fenced epee, and practiced Krav-Maga.) Aikido, in it's ancient (and not so spiritual) form has been excellent for dealing with my Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and physical health in general.

Chun-Li is old school, I know, but SF II was in a large arcade machine in the student center when I was in college, and that's where I cut my teeth on her, and spent far too many quarters! :D

7. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    You can see all of Aoi's moves from the command tutorial here:

It's not as interesting as seeing them used against other players, but it's something. The other videos were kind of shoddy, but there might be better ones on YT.

Also, Chun-Li is still loved as is Ryu (in Street Fighter fandom). There was even an HD Remix/Remaster of SFII Turbo for modern systems that was very well received and has/had an active online versus community.

8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I had an Atari :laugh:

anglican74 likes this.
  9. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I was playing an old Sega fighting game recently called Fighting Vipers, and as a Catholic, I am sure you'd be enamored to see that the image of Our Lady appears on the walls of one particular stage (see at 8:05):

They were obviously indebted to Los Angeles graffiti.

10. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I miss the days of the arcade! There was something great and social about playing video games in groups

11. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    A favorite game of mine was The First Templar (Xbox 360, PC). It was co-op and followed the knight, Celian, who is searching for the Holy Grail. You fight in last crusades, experiences Friday 13th, 1307, when the Templars are rounded up by King Philip IV “The Fair”, The Spanish Inquisition, and more.

To heal you had to pray, the knight kneeling and his sword in the shape of the cross and a light from heaven descending.

The game is third person, light RPG, hack n’slash, Assassin’s Creed alternative with Kingdom of Heaven (2005) and Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade homages.

D41F243A-2B4F-4472-BC1C-938C835D8AFF.jpeg

12. Shaun

Shaun Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I remember playing the Sega Megadrive as a youngster. I was actually kicked out of the house as a punishment growing up as opposed to being 'grounded' as all I ever did was play computer games! I didn't know what to do with myself as I stood outside my Mums house just staring at the house. Goodness knows what I must have looked like, a lost child. :facepalm:

It turned out to be a good thing in the end, eventually I was forced to socialize and I met my first love. Ah the memories. :rolleyes:

13. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Haven't we all :)

Shaun likes this.
  14. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Looking forward to the Sega Megadrive Mini. It's already available for pre-order and the line-up looks great. 40 built-in games. I already have the Nintendo minis. :)

Shaun likes this.
  15. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Wow! Talk about a blast from the past! Ha! :)

Shaun likes this.
  16. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Once upon a time, I was major Haloian.

I clocked in countless hours on:

Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

Halo 2 (Xbox)

Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

Halo Reach (Xbox 360)

Halo 3 ODST (Xbox 360)

I enjoyed the Campaign (story mode) as much as the mulitplayer. I even read the books “Halo: The Fall of Reach” and “Halo: The Flood.”