Exorcisms, etc.

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Celtic1, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    You might be talking about either Fr Malachi Martin or Fr Gabriele Amarth. I recall hearing that story as well but still can't remember which man it was.

Regarding the OP, there was a house that had to be exorcised by a priest friend of mine. He sought permission of then Bishop of Newfoundland, who referred to a translation of the Latin original in the Roman Rite. This was quite some time ago, but apparently, all activity in the house ceased after the rite was performed.

Anglican04 likes this.
  2. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

If a Roman Priest was there they would have had lost their mind lol.

Cameron likes this.
  3. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Not quite.

It would've been a TOTAL bloodbath :laugh:

Because here, we were divided both by denomination AND whether you were Irish or English, and we did NOT mix for fear of death. Thank God, truly, it is better now.

Anglican04 likes this.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I'm sorry but I don't get it!?

5. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

The Anglican bishop of "newfoundland" translated the latin-Roman exorcism rite for an Anglican priest to use at a residence. I thought it would be funny if a RC priest was there because they would have gone ballistic.

Cameron likes this.
  6. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Well see, Newfoundland is settled by the English, Irish, and some Basque. Many of our communities were named after where we came from, and we also have a separation of dialect and accent. Many villages, in which both Irish and English coexisted, often divided at the bridge - and no one associated with the other. Like Northern Ireland's troubles. We have our own dialect of Gaelige, and we have Orange lodges scattered around. The separation is lesser now, but still evident in some places.

Thomas Didymus likes this.
  7. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Do you think the extremity of Roman Catholic exorcisms gives them more credibility over Protestant ones? Honestly, the ones I've seen in video are really no more elaborate or worse than what I've seen in Protestant exorcisms, and tales of the radical ones that include vomiting nails or the like are often hearsay. Protestants who reject the RCC say that the miracles are counterfeit and demonic because they don't consider RCs to be true Christians. Of course, RCC apologists say its the other way around. However, I have also heard Protestant testimonies of exorcisms of similar magnitude. For instance, a missionary in India told of an exorcism involving a girl who got morbidly sick, then spoke in the voice of some hindu spirit who wanted to claim her, then died. The missionary prayed for deliverance over the girl, who resurrected from the dead and the color returned to her skin, and doctors witnessed it.

8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Only Our Blessed Lord rose again, this person cannot have been truly dead or perhaps she was resuscitated

9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Idk about that Aidan...what about Lazarus? And the son of Zerapheth's widow? And the Shunammite's son? And the man who was thrown on Elisha's bones? And Jairus' daughter? And Tabitha? And Eutychas? And the saints of Jerusalem after Our Lord's ressurection?

PotterMcKinney, Aidan and JoeLaughon like this.
  10. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Of course you're right.

11. AnglicanTex

AnglicanTex Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    If I a correct, the confession in the eastern churches have prayers of exorcism. You would need the priests manual. The antiochians have the confession online I believe.

12. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I saw one television show featuring an exorcism of a supposedly evangelical family. They might've been pentecostal (which some say sets people up for deceit and oppression or possession). The two sons of the parents were watching an exorcism take place. They were stunned, because despite being baptized and believing Christians, their parents were possessed. The mother, they said, woke up screaming and blaspheming God, and when the father tried to cast it out, he ended up becoming oppressed and possibly possessed. One of their brothers was also uttering blasphemous things, and one of his siblings said, "Man, he was always talking about Jesus and all that, and look, here he is saying these things." The mother under spiritual influence also spoke Latin. The sons, being of the evangelical persuasion, said "She ain't never spoke Latin ever in her life." They had Roman priests exorcising them because supposedly the Protestant one(s) they went to didn't help. The sons afterwards mentioned how they had never seen a manifestation like that in the Protestant church, and decided to convert to RC. The two denounced Protestants as frauds, and mentioned how they had Protestant friends who later manifested demons and had to be exorcised and converted by RC priests. But the whole thing sounds suspicious.

The idea of confessing Christians being able to be possessed is quite terrifying and hopeless. Ironically, Vatican II, Lumen gentium (15), suggests that non-Catholic Christians are validly consecrated through baptism, and can even receive many of the graces and unity with Christ in a real way, even if by RC standards they do not possess the 'fullness of the faith'. I have mentioned before that RCs claim their exorcisms deal with real manifestations and powers because things happen like people spitting objects, etc. which they claim doesn't happen in Protestant exorcisms, although that could be debated because of the nature and claims of exorcisms. Thing is, we have things like this that try to prove the superiority of Roman Catholicism and its rites, and yet at the same time we have prominent, well known mediums talking to spirits like the Long Island Medium, who has spoken before about participating in the sacraments like communion and others in her RC church, and yet has not been excommunicated for her practices or manifested any demonic activity in reaction to the sacraments as is often suggested by RC supremacists. Her priest might have even accepted her practice as legitimate in some sense, though you know by the way she describes God and the idea she has regarding the spirit world, that she is no orthodox Catholic, even if one wanted to defend her in some way. That seems very contradictory to me.