Exorcisms, etc.

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Celtic1, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Is there an Anglican service for exorcisms and then blessings of that which has been exorcised? I am speaking of exorcisms of houses and such.

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I believe that each Diocese in the CofE has an exorcist or a deliverance team ministry appointed by the Bishop.

3. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Thanks, but that's not what I was asking, and perhaps I didn't make myself clear, so please excuse that.

What I would like to know is this: Is there a liturgy, or a service in, for instance, a book of alternative services, for exorcisms? I am looking for resources to perform exorcisms with -- a service or liturgy of exorcism, if you will.

4. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    There is a small amount of related material publically available in the CofE's Common Worship (Prayers for Protection and Peace) and a rite of HC with anointing and laying on of hands. Both are in the Wholeness ad Healing Section. If a rite of exorcism is required, the Bishop determines the rite and the form of words to be used.

5. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Is this material accessible on the internet?

6. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Thomas Didymus likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah there is, but the bishop is the only one with access to those liturgies.

8. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Thanks Symphorian and DK.

I wonder if there is any exorcism service that one could get access to, from whatever source or denomination.

9. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Thomas Didymus and Anglican04 like this.
  10. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
  11. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I had a search for early Anglican exorcisms on the web, I thought perhaps Cranmer might have edited one but it seems not. It makes you wonder why not. We know there were witch hunts a couple generations later, the rational enlightenment had yet to make an appearance, so obviously the belief in supernatural evil was strong at the time. I wonder why the anglican divines made no authorative rulings on this matter when they were agreeing on the BCP and the articles...

Symphorian likes this.
  12. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    It crossed my mind as well since ++Cranmer had a large library and extensive liturgical resources at his disposal. I gather however that Sarum/Use of Salisbury had no such rite. I suppose the closest related rites would have been the exorcism within the baptismal rite and the rite of extreme unction.

For example, this appeared in the 1549 BCP in the Baptismal Rite:

I COMMAUNDE thee, uncleane spirite, in the name of the father, of the sonne, and of the holy ghost, that thou come out, and departe from these infantes, whom our Lord Jesus Christe hath vouchsaved, to call to his holy Baptisme, to be made membres of his body, and of his holy congregacion. Therfore thou cursed spirite, remembre thy sentence, remembre thy judgemente, remembre the daye to be at hande, wherin thou shalt burne in fyre everlasting, prepared for thee and thy Angels. And presume not hereafter to exercise any tyrannye towarde these infantes, whom Christe hathe bought with his precious bloud, and by this his holy Baptisme calleth to be of his flocke.

Cameron, Scottish Knight and Celtic1 like this.
  13. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    This has reminded me of an eccentric pre-Tractarian Parson in my Diocese who when carrying out infant Baptisms was in the habit of pinching the baby to make it yell and cry - the Parson then triumphantly exclaiming to those present that it was the Devil leaving the child!

14. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

15. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Both Popes have recently said that they want every diocese to have two exorcists due to the prevalence of "new age" practices

AnglicanTex and Anglican04 like this.
  16. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Aidan, do you have any references for that? I am saddened that such a need exists and would like to know more.

Anglican04 likes this.
  17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Sadly wee sis, I don't. I heard it while watching a programme on EWTN. Please excuse my not providing a link as my IT skills are on a par with my cooking skills!!!

Madeline likes this.
  18. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Oh no problem, Aidan, I will ask my friend Mister Google. With so much evil in the world recently I think that having spiritual warriors, so to speak, to counter this unholiness is not a bad idea. And the Popes would know better than me. I get a lot of comfort from praying St. Patrick's Breastplate. It's stood the test of all sorts of times.

I am still thinking of the right sort of joke to make about your cooking skills. Let me get back to you about that.

Aidan likes this.
  19. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I once burned baked beans!!!!♨️

Madeline likes this.
  20. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

Yeah, a lot of "new age" activities will get you possessed in no time. I heard a story of a modern RC saint? Or maybe an exorcist? Anyway he said he was at a death metal (basically satanic music) concert. He was head banging and he believed he saw demons head banging too in the crowd, thus leading to his Christian conversion.

All great chefs start somewhere :laugh: