Episcopal Church 77th General Convention News Thread

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Sean611, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I thought that I would start this thread as a place where we could post news relating to the 77th GC of TEC.

I'll start with a couple of items:

No censure for the Fort Worth 9. House of Bishops had "no stomach" to punish these orthodox bishops:

http://geoconger.wordpress.com/2012...re-for-fort-worth-9-anglican-ink-july-9-2012/

Gender Identity and Expression Resolution passes House of Bishops (transgender):

http://www.standfirminfaith.com/?/sf/page/29088

http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/...uld-not-be-basis-for-exclusion-bishops-agree/

Deputies vote to sell Episcopal Church center HQ (commonly called "815"):

http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/...l-the-church-center-headquarters-in-new-york/

Stalwart and Anna Scott like this.
  2. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Great news regarding the accusations against the 9 bishops, IMHO.

Personally, I have no problem with the Gender Identity Resolution.

I have no vested interest in whether 815 is sold or not. It seems that it costs a great deal of money to operate but I have not seen any alternatives put forward.

3. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Sean,

Thanks for posting these links.

I think we all knew the Gender Identity and Expression Resolution would pass. While I have great empathy for those of same-gender/transgender affection; I just can't see how acting upon this orientation is consistent with Holy Scripture. I know those in favor have tried to make it fit. I just can't see it.

Also, it seems this will open the door to sex outside the Sacrament of Marriage for all, including heterosexuals. If those of same-gender affection are sexually active; it would be a double standard to expect celibacy outside marriage for heterosexuals. So, what does this mean for the call to Holiness? How will this affect our teenagers and young adults?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear that I don't have to remain celibate, especially since I don't plan to marry again (two failed marriages is already two too many.)

I think there are far reaching ramifications for this Resolution both for those of same-gender/transgender affection and for heterosexuals.

God help us all,
    Anna

Sean611 likes this.
  4. Anna Scott

5. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Great post Anna. I think that you are right about this opening the door to sex outside the Sacrament of Marriage for all (including heterosexuals). According to TEC leadership, all that is required is that couples be committed. There is no real theology to any of this, the idea is making sure no one is excluded from anything.

Anna Scott likes this.
  6. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

To me, General Convention always feels like an American college football game where the other team has the ball.

Sean611 likes this.
  7. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Basically, there were 7 bishops and 2 priests who signed an Amicus Curiae Brief supporting the legal reasoning of the breakaway Diocese of Fort Forth. TEC leadership was not happy and they were turned in and up for disciplinary action over their loyalty to TEC. The following link explains this case in better detail:

http://www.standfirminfaith.com/?/sf/page/29030

8. Anna Scott

Sean,
    Once we adopt the "no one is excluded from anything" attitude, we find ourselves on a slippery slope.

I don't particularly like the fact that I must remain celibate, since I am not married. However, I'm not asking my Church to change its views to accommodate what I want. I must submit to Christ and His will, and ask for the strength and grace to live as Christ calls me to live.

Of course, I fail to live a Christ-like life every single day--some days in small ways, some days in large ways. Failure keeps me humble. :D It's a life long journey.

I suppose the point is that we are to mold ourselves according to the Gospel, rather than molding the Gospel according to what we want to do.

Anna

9. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    AMEN! The first response to the call to discipleship is obedience.

Anna Scott likes this.
  10. Adam Warlock

The bishops will decide today if baptism is required for Communion in the Episcopal Church. I was shocked at the landslide support for "either way is fine" in the HoD. HoD is often heretical, but i didnt think they would do this. This has enormous implications.

Robert likes this.
  11. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sean, any updates? Did the requirement of baptism (in Adam's post) and the sale of "815" pass the HoB?

Anna Scott likes this.
  12. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Does anyone have the exact wording of the resolution regarding Baptism? I am can't seem to find it.

13. Adam Warlock

It is Resolution C-029:

"Resolved, the House of Bishops concurring, that The Episcopal Church reaffirms that baptism is the ancient and normative entry point to receiving Holy Communion and that our Lord Jesus Christ calls us to go into the world and baptize all peoples. We also acknowledge that in various local contexts there is exercise of pastoral sensitivity with those who are not yet baptized."

Reports are circulating that an amendment to strike the last sentence was badly defeated.

14. Adam Warlock

Anna Scott likes this.
  15. Anna Scott

Adam,
    I appreciate the link and information. I was not aware of this or the Baptism issue.

The title TEC Opens Bible, Discovers Shocking Things Written There sums up one of the fundamental problems. There are shocking things written in the Bible. We are called to walk a narrow path, which is shocking to many.

The statement that there were "gasps in the room" when 1 Corinthians 6:9 was read from the ESV would be comical; if it were not so tragic.

It is interesting that they finally realized other approved Bible versions also say the same thing regarding homosexuality.

1 Corinthians 6:9 English Standard Version (ESV)
    9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

1 Corinthians 6:9 New International Version (NIV)
    9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

1 Corinthians 6:9 Contemporary English Version (CEV)
    9 Don’t you know that evil people won’t have a share in the blessings of God’s kingdom? Don’t fool yourselves! No one who is immoral or worships idols or is unfaithful in marriage or is a pervert or behaves like a homosexual

1 Corinthians 6:9 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
    9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts,

1 Corinthians 6:9 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
    9 Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites

1 Corinthians 6:9 King James Bible (KJV)
    9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

16. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hard to believe a Christian church has so imbibed the language of secular humanism as to listen to the 'gender identity' nonsense. It's the Episcopal Church, though, so what do you expect? :p

17. Anna Scott

Adam,
    This is quite disturbing on many levels. The Sacrament of Marriage is already at risk. Now the Sacrament of Baptism? Are we headed in a direction of a non-Sacramental expression of Christianity? It seems like TEC could collapse altogether, if this trend continues. It's somewhat of a domino effect.

We need to pray hard,
    Anna

Toma likes this.
  18. Adam Warlock

You are absolutely right. Here's where we stand:
    • Baptism: completely optional. It confers something called "full membership," but some (all?) other Sacraments can be received without it. Some Episcopalians are offended at the very idea of Baptism, according to testimony at GC. Some would never have joined if they had known that Baptism was the means by which they would enter the Church.
    • Confirmation: also optional. It seems to have been subsumed within Baptism, which is itself optional.
    • Eucharist: open to all "persons," no matter what. Hopefully will not be offered to dogs.
    • Marriage: an open sexual relationship among multiple "persons."
    • Anointing of the Sick: rarely discussed.
    • Confession: rarely discussed, very rarely offered. The Confession that takes place during Eucharistic celebrations is sometimes omitted by priests who do not believe in sin.
    • Holy Orders: a relic of ancient times that is open to all "persons," regardless of belief or practice.
    I need to talk to my priest. This is depressing.

Sean611, Anna Scott and Toma like this.
  19. Anna Scott

Adam,
    This is really serious.

20. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Wow, Adam! Not only is this synod looking to erode key aspects of the faith, but it does so in a spirit of utter conformity to pop culture expectations.

Unfortunately it's things like this that put Roman Catholics and the Orthodox least in the mood for ecumenism. They see error coupled with a sense of perpetual change in dogma and doctrine. Disunity is what tears us apart: in reality, and before the eyes of all the world.

Remember that unity is the one prayer of our Lord and Saviour, standing at the pinnacle of Scripture: the 17th chapter of St. John's Gospel, which itself is situated in that Inner Sanctum of Divine Love, the Farewell Discourse!

John 17 is the Holy of Holies, in which we see the deepest wish of Jesus for His friends and brethren: That they all may be one: as thou, Father, art in me and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

The Christian Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America has as much right to inherit eternal life as any community of baptised Christians. To see the apostolic truth and unity on baptism and morality being denied is a tragedy!

As Anna puts it, we need to pray hard. I add: pray for unity not only in the Body of Christ, but in the Spirit of Truth. We really need a Prayer Intentions sub-forum, especially today.

Sean611 and Anna Scott like this.