Roman Catholic Exorcisms

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Aidan, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Pope has recently instructed that every diocese should have two exorcists where previously one was considered sufficient.

2. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Yes he did, and I can see why. The influence of the demonic is so evident in the world right now. It as been growing and growing. The enemy wears diamonds and promises comfort, but lies and puts up a facade.

Aidan likes this.
  3. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

Roman Catholic exorcists preform multiple exorcisms a year I heard. Maybe some of the exorcisms were just crazy people?

Yeah, two exorcists a diocese sounds good if you have the resources.

Cameron likes this.
  4. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    To be eligible for an exorcism you need multiple clearances. The possessed person has to be analyzed and diagnosed as having no mental illness that would be related to the symptoms expressed. The priest has to fast, pray for days, and also be analyzed for any illness. He also has to make various sacrifices to be able to be spiritually fit for the exorcism. If the person is mentally ill, the Church takes every responsibility to help the individual and if they are not, they still offer up deliverance and prayer. I actually don't think the exorcisms were performed on crazy people because of all the testing each has to go through. But, God only knows :sweating:

Aidan and Tuxedo America like this.
  5. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    I was talking about the order of Exorcist. They weren't priests, only people whose ministry was exclusively exorcisms. They had become a stepping stone to the Priesthood pretty quickly.

Shane R and Cameron like this.
  6. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I do believe, but quote me only after a few drinks, that the Society of St Pius X and the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter, along with the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest and many other traditional societies of apostolic life do indeed ordain people to the order of exorcist.

And I think maybe the Anglican Catholic Church might?

DivineOfficeNerd likes this.
  7. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Clearly, demonic possession and exorcism as the cure for the same is Biblical, see Mark 5: 1-17. The Church of England also has exorcists, 1 per diocese.

8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    If these societies have exorcism as a minor order, a seminarian wouldn't be permitted to practice due to their extreme lack of experience

Cameron likes this.
  9. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    They are ordained as "exorcists", but the order of Exorcists has not, for one thousand years, performed exorcisms.