Is Sarum permitted?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by DivineOfficeNerd, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am not sure what to make of this sentence. I have no desire to rehash the disputes of the 1830's, yet surely we have an understanding of the wholeness of the Church in all places and in all ages to the ages of ages, that binds us all, living and departed in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I am not arguing because I just genuinely do not get what you are trying to say.

love you dearly

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I know, I really appreciate our conversations

What I'm trying to say in response to Sir Palomides is that the meanings of words change, and so more than just a haphazard quote from some Orthodox attack-blog which he seems to rely on, I would like an exposition of the prayer for the dead from the Fathers, in a manner in which we can find an exposition of the prayer for the dead from the Medieval or Trent Schoolmen:
    -why we should do it
    -what benefits are gained by it
    -what series of events takes place when we do it

That is how Sir Palomides can proper defend his thesis... Cherry-picking with misleading out-of-context citations is not a way that honest debate is done
    In the way the quotations appear to me, I can fully embrace them and yet not come to the conclusions that SirPalomides would like to jump to

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  3. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member