Should Anglicans genuflect (left knee) to our archbishop/bishops or kiss the ring of our bishops?

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Tom, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Tom

Tom New Member Anglican

My personal opinion is that I am not opposed to it as it shows respect to the successor of the apostles and probably would do it if it was common practise within the CofE.

For clarity I mean within a church/cathedral, either before or after the Mass, but not like in an informal meeting or every time you pass/greet them.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Achilles Smith likes this.
  2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    All postulants are given training on the customs and ceremonies of the Orthodox Anglican Church when they go through Deacon's Training. Genuflecting to the bishop and kissing his ring is a custom and courtesy befitting his office, according to our jurisdictional norms. As a veteran of the US Navy, I have -in my mind- correlated it to the custom of the hand salute rendered to an officer, or the question "by your leave" when passing by an officer (who is walking slower than you in the same direction). For clergy, it is proper to adopt something of a military or feudal mindset, wherein the bishop is one's officer or lord and you are his agent. How often did this dynamic appear in the parables of Christ?

Achilles Smith, Anglican04 and Tom like this.
  3. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Deleted

4. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

Thank you for your service!

Shane R and Achilles Smith like this.
  5. neminem

neminem Active Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Not wishing to digress from the OP, but in Australian military we are reminded to never salute an officer who is not in full uniform (such as a cap). the reason being is that we salute the commission not the person. Otherwise the officer may think it is themselves which deserves respect and obedience, instead of the rank.

DivineOfficeNerd likes this.
  6. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That is compatible with the practice here in the States as well. I had assumed an officer, or bishop, with the accoutrements of his office.

7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    While in the US Marines, we saluted the officer. I rendered salutes to those senior in rank and received salutes from those of lower ranks. Being in or out of uniform did not matter. If we knew the person was an officer we saluted. It was always about the rank and never the person. I was a Captain in the Marines. On ship I was Captain of Marines. A Captain of Marines was called "skipper" by his Marines if they liked him personally. That is a very high
    honor that I gratefully can claim. (that bit of Marine Corps lore was taught to me by my First Sgt as a Company XO. The Marines referred to me, a 2nd Lt as the "skipper" and the Captain was the "company commander.")

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Anglican04 likes this.