Questions for the non-Anglicans

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Adam Warlock, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

For anyone who wishes to participate, I was just wondering:
    1. Do you ever worship at an Anglican church?
    and 2. Are you considering (or preparing for) Confirmation?

Scottish Monk, Gordon and Anna Scott like this.
  2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've never worshipped at an anglican church, although when growing up in as an army brat the in army church abroad a lot of the chaplains were Anglican. I can still remember my surprise at my first experience of gowns and candles in a service lol

I have been tempted to go down and visit the city cathedral to experience an early morning communion service. I think I'd like to attend other denominations in the area to see what they're like

2) I'm not preparing for confirmation - although what does anglican preparation for confirmation involve? Are there catechismal classes?

Anna Scott, Scottish Monk and Gordon like this.
  3. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Yes SK preparing for confirmation is pretty much going through the catechism and learning the creeds. Many years ago they also went through all the parts that make up the robes worn by Bishops, Priests, and Deacons, and the names and layout of the Church building.

4. Adam Warlock

We had two 10-week series. The first section covered Church history, Anglican history, Sacramental theology, Creeds & Councils. The second set was about the Prayer Book, the Liturgy, vestments, Daily Office, and the Church Calendar. It was awesome.

And I should probably have worded the original questions differently, because question 2 should flow from 1. If somebody is preparing for Confirmation but is NOT attending an Anglican church, that would be very awkward. :D

5. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes, I am currently attending an Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) church. This morning, when writing my offering check, I wrote "St. N. . . Anglo-Catholic Church" instead of "St. N. . . Anglican Church." After the services, both of the two men assigned to count the offering gave me a look--one of the men smiled, the other did not smile. I will see if the check is cashed.

Yes, I am preparing for confirmation.

[​IMG]

...Scottish Monk

Scottish Knight and Anna Scott like this.
  6. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Well, Scottish Monk,
    You certainly made this Anglo Catholic chuckle over that one. :D

Also, love the dog.

Prayers--as you prepare for Confirmation,
    Anna

Scottish Monk and Gordon like this.
  7. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    1. Some day, when a few scruples are cleared... prayers for strength and humility appreciated... :)

2. I suppose a baptised and confirmed Roman Catholic wouldn't need to go through with confirmation if entering the Communion?

8. Adam Warlock

That's true. Trinitarian baptisms are not repeated, and Catholic Confirmation is valid and not repeated. So at the Confirmation service you'd be received by the bishop rather than Confirmed. Reception has an awesome prayer associated with it.

9. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    :) I must find this prayer and bask in the sunlight of that beautiful future day...

There must be some set of Catechism lessons, similar to the Catholic RCIA program, for those to be received? Do you participate with the Confirmation classes, or is it generally in private?

10. Adam Warlock

The order for reception in the American BCP is:
    The Bishop lays hands upon each one and says
    N., we recognize you as a member of the one holy catholic and apostolic Church, and we receive you into the fellowship of this Communion. God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, bless, preserve, and keep you. Amen.
    followed by:
    Almighty and everliving God, let your fatherly hand ever be over these your servants; let your Holy Spirit ever be with them; and so lead them in the knowledge and obedience of your Word, that they may serve you in this life, and dwell with you in the life to come; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

I'm sure that the Canadian one is comparable.

Every parish will have a newcomer class, but they aren't as standardized as RCIA. I think that they generally have everybody study together in that class, but they'll receive different blessings & prayers during the Confirmation service depending on what sacraments they've received in the past. Some programs are shorter than others. My parish had two 10-week sessions, although the first one was optional. In the first set, we studied Church history, Anglican history, Councils & Creeds, and basic Sacramental theology. In the second set we covered more in-depth Sacramental theology, vestments, the liturgy, the BCP, the Church Calendar, and how to pray the Daily Office.

11. Adam Warlock

And congrats to Scottish Monk! I'd like to hear about the journey as Confirmation draws near, and I'd definitely like to hear about the service itself.

Scottish Knight, check out that Communion service. I'd like to hear about your experience. :D

If there's anybody else, feel free to chime in!

12. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thanks to everyone.

...Scottish Monk

13. Andy Cothran

Andy Cothran Active Member

united states
    Religion:
    protestant
    Both are no the fact that i am basically homebound due to illness keeps me from attending but i feel feel more at home with anglican teachings and i know an anglican minister who is a friend of mine who has been rather helpful to me ..

Gordon and Scottish Monk like this.
  14. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh interesting. sounds fairly comprehensive. Are the 39 articles discussed at all during confirmation preparation?

And Adam, I certainly will go an tell you about it :D I'll go in a couple weeks :)

15. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Not when I went through it they weren't.I was also the only one going through the confirmation preparation at the time, so I got a folder completed all of the classes e-mailed them to the priest. I then met with the priest once a week to discuss what I had learned, if I had questions, et cetera.

16. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Yes as part of the walk through the prayer book.

17. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hmm... since the Anglican diocesan bishop for at least 60 miles in every direction is a woman, I suppose she would be the one to make my own reception. Given my strong conscience against her status, does that mean I cannot be properly received into the Anglican church? The suffragan bishop is male but his charge is in the northern district, while I live in the southern district.

Guess I'll have to wait quite a long time to be what my heart dreams to be, or I'll have to move. :p

18. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    I was an Episcopalian that became RC. My journey is bringing me back. I was confirmed in the EC and then the RCC because they do not recognize TEC confirmations. I hope you don't mind a couple old pics.

Attached Files:

Gordon, Scottish Monk and Robert like this.