Baptizing a stuffed animal

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Achilles Smith, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Achilles Smith

Achilles Smith Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My little cousin is 13 and he baptized his stuffed dolphin. He literally read the baptism section from the 1928 BCP and baptized a stuffed animal. Is this bad that he did this? Like an abuse of prayer and the ceremony or anything? He wants to be a priest when he is older and it was pretty cute to be baptizing a dolphin so neither me or my family said anything... My family is (for the most part) normal lol.

2. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Well, it can't be baptized fundamentally, so the prayers are null. If the kid gets that, then I don't think there would be a problem. If the kid legitimate believes he can baptize his stuffed bear, might have some issues. Continue to encourage his vocation though!

Achilles Smith and anglican74 like this.
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    At first I read the title and rushed to this, cause it seemed like a liturgical abuse, lol. However now that I've read it, it's a very cute story, you should keep encouraging your cousin! Of course the liturgy takes no effect, as you've hinted that, but it's not an abuse... There was a story of St. Augustine, as a little boy, was with his buddies, toyfully reciting the liturgy of Holy Communion back in the 300s AD, and St. Ambrose saw him, and at first was mad, but on second thought was quite lenient and even encouraged him to discern his vocation further (as of course he did)

4. Achilles Smith

Achilles Smith Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    @DivineOfficeNerd Yes, he is certainly aware the baptism isn't valid. He seems to be functioning like a proper being but his parents say he is being a little too extra. Hopefully they do not return him for a refund. :laugh:

@anglican74 That's a cool story of St. Augustine and St. Ambrose! I told him about these forums and he said he wanted to join despite being a little under the age limit to have his own account. I will let him borrow my account for a little bit to ask some questions and whatnot. God bless you guys! :cross:

DivineOfficeNerd and anglican74 like this.
  5. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I was so stressed for a moment, but so glad my expectations were not fulfilled.

6. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I'm sure the Episcopal Church (TEC) actually does this...

7. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Theres another story, about S. Athanasius. Story goes, that as a young boy, Athanasius found out some of his friends were pagan so he took to baptizing them, with the full liturgy as he remembered it from the Basilica. The Bishop saw him, interrogated the young kids, and realized that the baptism was valid. He told them not to do it again, but he kept Athanasius under his wing and saw to it that he got an education. Legends like that warm the soul. :)

Anglican04 and Achilles Smith like this.
  8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I tried to test the validity of this claim.

My Google search was "does the TEC baptise stuffed toys"

This was as close as I came.

StuffedToys.jpg

Whilst it is a serious concern that Amazon see the Gift of the Holy Spirit as a promotional giveaway, I also found no evidence to suggest that the TEC does baptise stuffed toys, and would presume (and dare I say hope and trust) that if it did happen it would be a violation of TEC authorised practice.

As it is evident that I have limited experience of the TEC, I am happy to be guided, but given that it is clear that AF take a more conservative position on a range of issues than the TEC, I think we should endeavour to confine ourselves to claims in relation to the TEC that are demonstrable.

I don't doubt that it is a fun remark, and I managed a smile, however I still think if we are to comment on the TEC we should try to be fair and accurate.

anglican74, PotterMcKinney and Rhys like this.
  9. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    It is definitely not proper.

10. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've heard of whales performing infant baptisms en masse. For example, children will be with their parents at SeaWorld and a giant whale will sprinkle them as it jumps into the water. These baptisms are later proven to be effective protections against mischeivious spirits such as imps, harpies, and changelings that wish to take them away. Several of Shamu's relatives are priests and bishops within the Episcopal church and perform these rites on a regular basis.

11. Laura S.

Laura S. New Member

United States
    My friend's pastor and his brothers, when they were children, tried to baptize their grandmother's cat. This resulted in one angry, wet cat, three scratched up young boys, and a good talking too from their grandmother.

12. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    I've heard of kids "celebrating Mass" on an ironing board with wonder bread and grape juice before. Things like this happen, but they shouldn't be encouraged.

When I was in the Episcopal Church, we "baptized" animals (at least, I think it was referred to as a baptism- I can't recall for certain), but never inanimate objects.

13. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I think you mean "blessing" not "baptizing" the animals @Tuxedo America

14. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

I would like to echo what Lowly Layman said about it being a blessing. The blessing of pets is in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, taking place on a Sunday close to his feast day, October 4. This is also set to coincide as the culminating conclusion for the Season of Creation. Roman Catholics also bless pets around this time, for I remember my friend asking his priest to bless an ant. I was surprised to hear the priest actually blessed it, although it drowned in holy water. At least it died in a state of grace.

15. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    That sounds more reasonable. I was only about ten at the time- all I remember is that we brought one of our cats to the garden we were doing it in. I suppose I should be glad it's not as extreme as I thought.

16. AnglicanTex

AnglicanTex Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Is this the diocese of the forgotten realms?

17. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Maybe. I heard Martin Luther believed in changelings. According to one book I read called 'Domestic Folklore':

This superstition was once very common in many countries, and was even believed by Martin Luther, if we are to rely on the following extract from his "Table Book:"—"Changelings Satan lays in the place of the genuine children, that[5] people may be tormented with them. He often carries off young maidens into the water." This most reprehensible of the practices attributed to the fairies is constantly spoken of by our old writers, and is several times mentioned by Shakespeare. In the speech of Puck, in A Midsummer Night's Dream (Act ii., sc. 1), that jovial sprite says of Titania's lovely boy—the cause of quarrel between the King and Queen of Elfland:—

"She never had so sweet a changeling."

Hence, why baptism is effective at fighting them. ;)

Thomas Didymus likes this.
  18. AnglicanTex

AnglicanTex Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Sounds forgotten realmsy...lol.