Movies & Shows you are watching?

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by anglican74, Apr 22, 2017.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What is everyone watching these days?

I've seen one of the best movies of recent years: La La Land. Such a positive, happy movie, full of dreams, and hope. An incredibly uncommon movie, very decent in that classic old-fashioned sense of the term, and highly recommended for all of the Godly and decent people here.

Thomas Didymus and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My wife and I have reached the point that we have don't have a tone of time for TV, so we have a lot on the DVR.
    I've read the books, and am enjoying Game of Thrones, though I didn't feel the need to get into the show until the 2 most recent seasons. Also, Marvel's Agents of Shield (so terribly underrated, honestly, especially after the 1st season which was the weakest, the most recent was...awesome), Outlander, Call the Midwife, Endeavour, Dr. Who (I like Capaldi, I think the writing has done him a disservice).

I can't think of any modern sitcoms I watch - Home Improvement, Cheers, Friends, loved all those. I loathed Seinfeld, and still do. Living in Atlanta, I have a soft spot for Designing Women, and married my own "Julia Sugarbaker" (to which I happily play Hal Holbrook's role).

3. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I've been giving Star Trek: Discovery a fair shake. The last two episodes have been bad. Not sure I'm going to stick with it. The only other active show I follow is Better Call Saul.

4. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That's a lot of TV Shows :o Game of Thrones is so filthy, yet beautifully produced and has (at times) a compelling storyline. I'm conflicted...

I heard they introduced some homosexual characters for the first time, is that really true?

5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Have you seen British version of The Office? Very funny indeed

6. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    A pair of them, although one has injected himself with tardigrade DNA so he could interact with some kind of intergalactic mushroom engine. :dunno: So I dunno how long he'll last.

anglican74 likes this.
  7. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Well, that's part of the reason we didn't into GoT until it passed the books. Luckily it's been...less filthy (which may not be saying much). It does have an interesting storyline, and is even (very) loosely based on the War of the Roses. You can't say ANYONE is a saint or the good guy in the show, that's for sure. (Though, I fully admit that my big black Durango with the hemi engine has the license plate "DROGON" because of it.)

It is a few shows, and that's why our DVR stays at about 67% full. :) Here is the thing though - they are not all on at the same time of year. It ends up about 2 at a time, with a third overlapping partway, and as one falls off another comes on. So it's never so many at once, thank goodness.

anglican74 likes this.
  8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I've never seen game of thrones and have no desire to do so

Anne likes this.
  9. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What's interesting though is that when they got beyond the books, the storyline became a lot less complicated and interwoven. All the complex threads that GRRM put into his books, exemplified in the show's seasons 1-6, now peter out (no pun intended), and it's becoming a rather flat and simple black and white story... Do you know what I mean?

Like if Littlefinger saw that the night walkers were unstoppable, and pivoted all his plans to go to them, and become their lieutenant as they took over the world, wouldn't that be a much cooler plot twist?

10. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Who is going to see The Last Jedi? I'm excited :run:

Anne, PotterMcKinney and Lowly Layman like this.
  11. newsoul

newsoul New Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The VVitch was minimally gorey, dreadfully atmospheric and refreshing in that it did not shy away from depicting witchcraft as murderous and evil.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I did enjoy the Witch.

JoeLaughon likes this.
  13. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
  14. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I saw Darkest Hour at the cinema. Not bad.

15. Will_

Will_ Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I hope to watch "Darkest Hour" when it is available on DVD... looking forward to it. Lately we have been watching some of the "Murdoch Mysteries" on DVD.

16. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Am very much enjoying Series 2 Handmaids Tale and am looking forward to The Colony series 3

17. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I just finished Call the Midwife season 6, which was wonderful. Would recommend it to anyone.

Also, today I watched Goat on Netflix, which is about the American hazing tradition and the debauchery which comes along with it. It was a wonderful film!

18. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Currently rewatching on DVD one of my favorites of all time, Babylon 5, and remarking on how spiritual a show it really is.

19. Will_

Will_ Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I like Babylon 5, too. It has quite a story arc and it is hard to pick a favorite character!

Lowly Layman and Stalwart like this.
  20. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Me three. What a great show, second only to Firefly in my opinion as far as great sci-fi shows go.

That being said I try not to watch Season 1 (I know, heresy for some people), and Season 5 was basically optional. So it's Season 2, Season 3, and Season 4, for me, as the peak and summit of sci-fi storytelling.

Thomas Didymus and Lowly Layman like this.