Formula of Holy Subscription

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Admin, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Congrats Tom! Good on you!

Tom likes this.
  2. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
  3. anawkwardaardvark

anawkwardaardvark Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I subscribe to the 1662 BCP, Ordinal attached, and Articles of Religion, so help me God.

Peteprint and Lowly Layman like this.
  4. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    As it contains the holy formulas of our religion: The Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian Creeds; the Articles of Religion, sacred Anglican Rites and Rituals, the Church Catechism, and exhorts the Homilies;

I, DivineOfficeNerd, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

5. Achilles Smith

Achilles Smith Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As it contains the holy formulas of our religion: The Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian Creeds; the Articles of Religion, sacred Anglican Rites and Rituals, the Church Catechism, and exhorts the Homilies;

I, Achilles Smith, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

Anne, Lowly Layman and Peteprint like this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Well done and God bless you Achilles!

Anne likes this.
  7. Achilles Smith

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you, Christ be with you.

8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Can a person of conscience make this declaration if they are against female clergy and openly gay bishops?

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

@Aidan since those two matters were some of the main catalysts behind the creation of the Formula of Subscription, they are in fact directly related to one another, and discussed in the thread which started it all, recommended here for reference:

Anglican Reformation, Advent 2014.

10. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I sense that membership here is smaller that it once was, and that's ok , quality before quantity

11. Achilles Smith

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Probably, I always see the same 10 members posting on the forum. I do like our little community of members, although it has its advantages and disadvantages.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

The community we have now is just about what we had some years ago before the Formula of Subscription went in effect. Overall the site is relatively new, and has only been around for about six to seven years in total. We had not accumulated too great a community yet in 2014, when the Formula of Subscription was announced, and the placing of the site on a clear doctrinal basis came in effect.

When the new rules appeared, there was a decline in membership; however this was not a cause for sorrow, for the members of the community as it existed then were hardly members, and it was hardly a community. If you were a member of the site then, you would have seen people who came from all over in terms of beliefs, and there was incredible rancour, animosity and rage between members towards each other; it was an assembly of people who clearly had nothing in common with each other, apart from a label; and even the label that everyone sought to find illusory unity under, each of them understood differently anyway. A unity under an empty label proved to be elusive.

We learned from that experience and placed the website on a solid doctrinal foundation, avoiding the animosity of party-strife by eschewing any of the prejudices and party labels that divide the Church today, rather taking the historic position of the Church, which is not in dispute, as our own. For some time the population of the forums dispersed as their rancor and animosity became suppressed. However in time they were replaced by all of you, the fine members of the forums we have now.

It is really remarkable what doctrinal clarity has done to the health and calm in the current community. The nature and doctrine of the Anglican Church is not in dispute, and those who would innovate feel clearly out of place, as they would have historically. This leaves behind only those of you, the well-beloved members who are not interested in rancour or animosity or subversion of doctrine; but only in gentle conversation within a clear framework of doctrine and praxis.

As we sit back and let the natural growth and development take its course, we feel that this website may be indicative of a pattern of recovery for the church as a whole, as on a micro scale it has achieved what has been the hallmark of Anglicanism for so many centuries. We are eager and joyous to see how the community will continue to grow and flourish in the future.

13. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was there back then. Those animosities were what caused me to quit posting in the first place. Maybe I'll post more often, if things are changing for the better.

Aidan likes this.
  14. newsoul

newsoul New Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican

I, newsoul, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

Lowly Layman and PotterMcKinney like this.
  15. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Can one still speak of an Anglican Church when there appears to be so many denominations, eg ACC ACNA TEC APCK
    etc?

Tom likes this.
  16. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    If I might interject, Aidan. I feel that we can speak of an Anglican spiritual tradition.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Tom and Shane R like this.
  17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Undoubtedly Pete, but an Anglican Church per se?

Tom likes this.
  18. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    That is much more problematic, Aidan. At one time, yes. But today, Anglicanism is undergoing a tumultuous period in its existence.

Shane R likes this.
  19. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Agreed Pete. It's difficult to see that there will ever be a unity of religions , but there can be a unity of religious people

Peteprint likes this.
  20. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

I, Anglican04, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.