What is an old high churchman to do?

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by anawkwardaardvark, Sep 23, 2017.

1. anawkwardaardvark

anawkwardaardvark Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Continuing Anglo-Catholics uniting in Atlanta and ACNA punting for 1979-2003 TEC.

Meanwhile, an old high churchman who honors the BCP with her Articles of Religion has no where to go (no local UECNA presence). I'm open to suggestions.

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Take a page from Mahatma's playbook: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Reach out to the UECNA and see what options or resources are available for members without a local parish. I've been told that Anglican Orthodox Church offers this, but is decidedly low church in theological outlook.

Consider starting a small bible study of like minded individuals if you feel pulled to create a local community.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

God's blessings in your endeavors, friend!

anawkwardaardvark likes this.
  3. anawkwardaardvark

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Been thinking about this, appreciate the support brother.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I've been at pains to make a point that this is not so... not sure why people think this. The ACNA has inherited the "1979-2003 TEC" situation from its founding (a fault of our founding Archbishop). While the recent decision punts clarity on WO until later, it does not matter whatsoever if you're in an ACNA jurisdiction that already makes the forward-looking rejection of WO in its canons.

Remember that as it stands, the local jurisdiction canons take priority over the national canons. If you are in CANA that takes priority over ACNA nationally; if you are in the REC that takes priority over ACNA nationally. None of those jurisdictions will take the step of dissolving their canons until ACNA nationally cleans up the WO issue. Thus if you're even considering something like the UECNA then your absolute best bet is to become a part of CANA under Bishop Julian Dobbs, Felix Orji and the rest of the bishops who are completely firm on both the rejection of womens' ordination and the embrace of the 39 Articles.

As a member of CANA you also become a member of ACNA, this national body which is working to become the defacto province, while also being shielded from the indiscretions of the regular diocesan bishop who might not reject WO (but as we discussed in the other thread there aren't that many of them).

5. anawkwardaardvark

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Brother, you're incorrect that diocesan canons trump ACNA's. This is from the ACNA Constitution, Article IV:

"7. This Constitution recognizes the right of each diocese or network (whether regional or affinity-based) to establish and maintain its own governance, constitution and canons not inconsistent with the provisions of the Constitution and Canons of this Province."

Of course, a diocese may freely leave ACNA, unlike TEC. However, this is moot if one is "stranded" where the ACNA presence is limited to a pro-WO diocese that uses the '79 BCP and favors three-streams convergence theology. I find it very easy to say I'm living in 1979-2003 TECland. As I recall, even CANA has accepted ordained women transferring from other dioceses as ministers but simply will not ordain women.

anglican74 likes this.
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Okay fair enough, point taken. I will look into this as I have been told something different but on paper you are right.

That being said, that ACNA has not brought down any decision on women's ordination should be a cause for celebration. You may think that that's bad, but really they've left the canons untouched. It would've been far worse if they actually added Women's Ordination into the canons. As they have not made a canonical decision, that leaves the local jurisdictions' canons to operate. Again my point stands that both CANA and REC are very solid; plus the regular diocesan canons may be solid as well depending on where you are. It really is a much more solid framework than people give credit for. It's not perfect, but the Province is still being formed. People want this to happen instantly, but "Rome wasn't built in a day" (pardon the expression)...

My brother I can sympathize. From what I've seen in my travels this is getting less and less frequent, especially the '79 BCP which is a real oddity, but you may have the misfortune and the cross of that, if that's the case. What are the CANA and REC opportunities in your area?

That is no longer the case, it is not possible to be a woman priest in CANA any longer. Not only has +Julian Dobbs made a blanket statement about this earlier in the year,
    http://www.virtueonline.org/binghamton-ny-cana-bishop-says-no-women-priests-diocesan-convention

But he's expressely made a statement reaffirming this following the WO Conclave.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    anawkwardaardvark likes this.
  7. anawkwardaardvark

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    CANA isn't in my state and REC is 100 plus miles away. Believe me, I would be there over where we are in a heartbeat.