Late Night Hello

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Tuxedo America, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    Hey, all. First thing's first: I'm Catholic (Latin Rite). I was raised in both the Episcopal and Catholic churches, and I was Confirmed Catholic in high school. I immediately fell away from the faith, and only recently (Winter of 2015) returned to Catholicism. I am in my third year of college, and I am hoping to go to seminary after I graduate.

Despite obviously being in disagreement with Episcopalianism (I wouldn't be Catholic if I wasn't), I owe most of my pleasant childhood memories to the church, and my time in it provided me a solid foundation to build my faith upon.

I'm an active member at the Catholic Answers forum (which is undergoing a platform change right now), and I'm hoping to be exposed to another faith tradition here in hopes of expanding my knowledge.

Anne likes this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Hey, friend. What's on your mind from the Catholic world these days?

3. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    Well, sometimes I wonder when the rest of the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible will be finished :laugh:

PotterMcKinney likes this.
  4. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What makes that one so unique? And how far along and what is their delay?

5. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    It has some pretty big names behind it. Scott Hahn, for example. The commentary blows me away- nothing like that from the NAB, which is usually pretty boring. This one has entire pages of essays dedicated to certain topics, such as who the Pharisees are, the "hour" of Jesus, the Order of Melchizedek, etc. It even has word studies. It's really amazing.

I think the Old Testament isn't out yet because the team working on it is so small, but I also believe that they were supposed to have had it done last year or two years ago.

One comment I read from someone on Catholic Answers adequately sums up the angst of the wait: "People have died waiting for this Bible!"

6. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That's pretty fantastic. Yeah I don't know very much about Catholic study bibles as a whole. Must be quite an industry! Scott Hahn is pretty famous, he's heading up the project? The only one I've heard of was the Navarre Study Bible but that one is from way back.

7. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    I don't think he's "in charge" of it. I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that he was approached by one of the team members and offered a position. Maybe he took over it since then?

I've heard of the Navarre, but I hadn't considered it when I started looking for a good study Bible. Because of my familiarity with Hahn, the decision was already made.

8. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Hello and welcome! I nearly went Roman Catholic, became Anglican instead. Lovely to have you here!

9. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Hello and welcome here!
    My wife is Roman Catholic, Latin rite, but has been attending a Byzantine rite for so long she's considering a change. Myself, grew up Southern Baptist and am in the process of being Confirmed (hopefully Easter 2018!) Anglican.

So glad to have you!

10. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Hi Tux, I'm a traditional Roman Catholic who loves the Tridentine Latin Mass and am more right wing than Atilla the Hun !!!

11. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    I've never been to a TLM before. My parish doesn't offer them. I imagine I'll be exposed to it in seminary, though.

Good to know I'm not the only Catholic here!

12. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Friend, we are all Catholic here, you are of the Roman/Latin church and we of the English church.l

Christina, Mark, Anne and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Tux! May God richly bless your time here!

14. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome