Thinking about becoming Anglican

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SeekingWolf, May 6, 2017.

1. SeekingWolf

SeekingWolf New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Wanna Be Anglican
    Hello everyone
    i am 19 years old (20 in 10 days God Willing ) and i am Romanian and Greek
    i was born in (funny enough ) a seventh day adventist familly who left eastern orthodoxy before my birth. as i was growing up i read about most of the world religions . i was very tempted by both catholicism and Orthodoxy(being the religion of my ancestors) but in the end i had problems with both Catholics with the new doctrines they added (papal infallibility , purgatory , ascension and dormition of Saint Mary etc. and the Orthodox focusing too much on mystic interprations and not so much on Theology . of couse i won't resume all reasons but i guess that sums it pretty much . I find Anglicanism a middle ground between The traditions and reason . The Holy Bible plus the beautiful liturgy . But there are still some things i have questions about

Who is the head of the Church ? Is it still the crown of England ? if there was a church in Romania for example would the king/queen still be the head of that church ?

What branches are liberal and which are not ?Which branches celebrate the Holy Liturgy ?

Does anyone live in montreal or anywhere near and can point me to traditionnal anglican church (conservative church )?

Thanks God bless :)

alphaomega and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard SeekingWolf! May God richly bless your time here at the Forums. To really understand historic Anglicanism, I would recommend you begin reading some of the books a available on http://www.anglican.net.
    I would also recommend "The Catholic Faith" by W.H. Griffith Thomas, which is available for free on Google Books.

In answer to some of your questions...

There is one head of the Church: Jesus Christ. The Queen has a special role in the Church of England because of its status as the established church there. I feel pretty confident she does not enjoy that role elsewhere in the Communion but you should consult the parish priest for more info. She is not the head of the church in the US.

From a pastoral perspective, the office of Archbishop of Canterbury has a place of honor among Anglican bishops and serves as the president of the Anglican Communio

In the US and Canada, the Episcopal Church and Anglican Church of Canada are more liberal than the ACNA or continuing churches. All anglican churches are liturgical to one extent or another, some lean more anglo-catholic and others more reformed/evangelical.

Sadly, I am not near Montreal so I must leave it to others to do the pointing, but Google is always a great way to find nearby parishes.

Good luck in your journey, my brother. May He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Amen!

3. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am in Montreal and you can find a variety of Sunday services at the Cathedral including a traditional spoken Mass using the BCP at 8 AM, sung Mass at 10 or 10:30, I can't recall, but check their website, and Compline.

The Red Roof church is very Anglo-Catholic and has Mass every day.

St. George's is a lovely and welcoming church that leans toward High Church, with spoken and sung Sunday Mass.

All of these are worth a visit.Welcome and best wishes. Let me know if you have any other questions specific to Montreal.

alphaomega and Lowly Layman like this.
  4. Madeline

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
  5. SeekingWolf

SeekingWolf New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Wanna Be Anglican
    Thank you all for your answers :) . Madeline are these churches traditionnal anglicans ? i mean those who stick with the old views on homosexuality etc ?

Aidan and anglican74 like this.
  6. Madeline

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It sounds like you and I might have different associations with what traditional is. If you're looking for a church that has services using the BCP, and older forms of worship, you can find it at the three churches I mentioned.

Our Bishop is a woman, and at our last General Synod, the Anglican Church of Canada voted on and upheld same-sex marriage.
    http://www.anglican.ca/gs2016/

You might want to look into the ANiC, however there are only two congregations in Montreal, and I've visited one, Emmaus Church, and they were not remotely Anglican. They were Charismatics.
    http://www.anglicannetwork.ca/member_parish.htm

Shane R likes this.
  7. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What a difficult situation in that part of Canada, friend. The beautiful worship is presided by a gender-twisting 'woman bishop', while the faithful and obedient who suffer poverty and ignominy for their bravery, go on to espouse Charismaticism.

Ide, Aidan and alphaomega like this.
  8. Paul Dean

Paul Dean New Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    To clear up any potential mix-up, the Queen is Supreme Governor of the CofE, and Christ is, as stated, the Head.

PotterMcKinney likes this.
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    What does Supreme Governor mean. Can she overrule Canterbury?

10. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    From what I can understand, yes, the example best in my mind being the Lambeth Articles being shot down by Elizabeth I.

11. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My understanding is that this is not simplistic. The Sovereign has a role in the appointment of a number of key positions - York and Canterbury among them, and there is a Board of Church Commissioners who make the recommendations for the appointment. I understand in practice that means they hand over a list of three, in order, and the normative position is to pick the top one, however I believe that is not a given and that sometimes it has been 2 or 3. In the contemporary world the role has been rather more formal than powerful. There is no doubt that the AB of C having Ecclesial and Royal appointment lends the office, and the Church they represent, a stronger position in wider society than just being the elected leader of a Group.

A lot of this has to do with the dignity of the office, not the power of the person. The AB of C can and clearly has at times made comment on the conduct of the nation - I seem to recall the Iron Lady was a bit ticked off by the AB of C have a few opinions at times. However I do not recall the Queen having intervened in this in any way.

PotterMcKinney and anglican74 like this.
  12. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Right, the Queen's role is mainly in the office of making appointments, which is currently done not even by her anymore but by the Royal Crown Commission (if I recall correctly).

The Queen's authority only extends to the Church of England and not to any other Provinces of the worldwide Anglican Communion. It also does not extend to any other church bodies in England, including the Anglican bodies that currently stand in antagonism/rejection of the CofE liberalisms. For example the Anglican Mission in England (the ACNA equivalent, sponsored by the orthodox worldwide Anglican primates who wish to discipline the Church of England by establishing a competing body within her jurisdiction).

Other examples include the continuing church bodies that function on their own, without attachment to the worldwide Primates: the Free Church of England (around from circa 1850s), the Anglican Catholic Church in Britain (around from circa 1940s), and such.

Paul Dean and PotterMcKinney like this.
  13. mandy

mandy New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Queen had a position in the Anglican Church which is now occupied by the Archbishop of Canterbury. In approximately 1976 that role and power was handed over to the Archbishop of Canterbury

14. anawkwardaardvark

anawkwardaardvark Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Parish Name Jurisdiction Address Clergy | Sunday Services
    Parish of St. Athanasius
    514-575-5731
    ACCC 5605 Upper Lachine Rd. (Les Habitation St. Raymond)
    Montreal, QC H4G 1S9 The Rev. Doug Nicholson
    10:30 AM MP; 11:00 AM HC

Parish Name Jurisdiction Address Clergy | Sunday Services
    Eglise du Saint-Consolateur
    819-864-6619
    ICCEC 48, 2e Rue Sud
    Thetford Mines, QC G6G 4Z2 The Rev. Rejean Vautour, Rector
    Call for information

Found those from this link: http://www.anglicanchurches.net/?page_id=7

Also check out: http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/kaysplace/ss_canada.html