Eastern Orthodox

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Gio, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    With the rosary, I do exactly what your supo to do, for more about the rosary visit
    http://www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm#loaded
    As with the candles, I light them in honor of the saint, or if depicted, jesus, then I ask for saintly intercession with the prayer presented on the candle

2. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    From my understanding this is to address issues with the RC Church esp. at this time period. Merits of the saints, as "payments" of sins, etc. Anglo Catholics esp. have no problem with prayers of the Saints, Mother Mary, candles, rosary, etc. The Anglican Church of the 16th century was responding against many corruptions and excessives of the RC Church of the time.Merits, etc. Pope Leo esp.

PotterMcKinney likes this.
  3. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    With the rosary, I do exactly what your supo to do, for more about the rosary visit
    http://www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm#loaded
    As with the candles, I light them in honor of the saint, or if depicted, jesus, then I ask for saintly intercession with the prayer presented

4. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    And I also pray the angelus

5. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    The Rosary prayers are fine. I quite like the prayer blessed by nuestra senora de Fatima, as well. The Hail, Holy Queen makes me slightly uncomfortable, but properly understood I have no problem. Mary was the first among the saved, by whose salvation we all have our own. The funny thing about that prayer is that she has already shown us Jesus, and therefore I take no issue with it from an Articles viewpoint.

The candles thing depends on what kind of prayer is said. Do you have an example?

6. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Yes I do, my prayer candle I have right now is dedicated to our lady of guadalupe
    It has a prayer on back in English and Spanish, it reads as following

Merciful Virgin Mary of guadalupe, show clemency, love and compassion to those who love you and search for your protection. May the sweet fragrance of roses ( candle is rose scented ) reach your divine son, our lord Jesus Christ, that he may hear our prayers. Wipe our tears and give us comfort and assistance.

Amen.

7. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    the angelus, a Marian prayer, goes as follows

The Angel of the Lord declared to Mary:
    And she conceived of the Holy Spirit.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of
    our death. Amen.

Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word.

Hail Mary . . .

And the Word was made Flesh: And dwelt among us.

Hail Mary . . .

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray:

Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts; that we, to whom the incarnation of Christ, Thy Son, was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His Resurrection, through the same Christ Our Lord.

Amen.

8. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    The only danger is in one's understanding of "protection." I think that, though it can be used superstitiously, it does not have to be. I hate to interrogate you so, but out of a loving concern, how would you understand Mary's protection?

9. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    The Angelus is a fine prayer, basically taken out of Scripture, and perfectly fine in my book. I pray it myself.

10. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    I would understand it as her protection as something like, her alerting jesus to protect me if something dangerous is going on, after all, she does intercede with Christ

11. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Sorry for my grammar, I meant to say, I would understand her protection as...

12. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    No problem. Is English your first language, or second?

I would qualify that understanding by realizing that Christ needs no alert to know your danger. Jesus knows it, and acts accordingly. However, Mary did through the grace of God make such a thing possible by her assent to conceive Jesus. It is in that action shown to us in Scripture that Mary has afforded us protection. Mary protects us because by her assent Jesus was incarnated, and it is he who will save us from danger. Mary does not need to do any more than that to protect us. In her assent to God, she protected us, and that is the only protection she gives, has given, and will give in eternity. I'd say that is the Scriptural understanding of The Blessed Virgin's protection. She does not change God's will, as no one can do that in intercession, but she leads the whole mortal kind in prayer for the world in alignment with God's will. The superstitious danger is in thinking of these eternal things as temporal things.

That might be confusing, but I stand by it. In short, that Mary prays for our safety is a given, but we should keep in mind that she does not actually change God's will or make him more inclined to save a sinner than he was yesterday. However, it is through her that Jesus's protection is possible, and that protection is what she has given us and is giving us.

13. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    English is my second language, I'm fluent, but I still kind of suck grammar wise, my original language is Spanish

14. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    And that is a good view on her protection

15. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Much superstition occurs when one confuses eternal things for temporal ones. Not in all cases, but many.

I am not fluent in Spanish, but I've had a Spanish class for the past 5 years and plan to take more, so I don't really have an excuse. Me gusta la lengua, y la poesia de Neruda. Quiero un libro de oracion comun en Espanol, y una biblia. Eso seria interesante mirar.

16. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic

17. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    si tú vas a un tienda que venden libros, tú puedes encontrar una Biblia en español, se llama "santa Biblia"

18. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    o puedes encontrar una por el internet.

19. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic

20. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Si, pero me gusta un libro real. Yo buscarelo.