Eastern Orthodox

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Gio, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    I've recently started to reaserch about a particular church, the Eastern Ortodox Church, this church claims to be the original church founded by the apostles. Throughout history this church has remained untouched by any type of reformation. The icons are beautiful [​IMG]
    If anyone knows any more information about this church, please tell me.

alphaomega likes this.
  2. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    They are the second largest church communion in the world, but with a much less steady foothold in America than Western Churches. They share a lot in common with High Anglicanism and Anglo-Catholicism, and could be a good fit for you. They and the Roman Catholic Church split from each other at its most formally in 1054. They developed theology and practices independent from the West both before and after that point. Some East-West controversies of interest to you would be the Filioque controversy, the Hesychast controversies and the Essence-Energy distinction, and Purgatory controversy. They also really, really like the Church Fathers and really care about the things they say. They are also much more mystical in their theology than the more scholastic west, though both sides dabble in the specialty of the other. Sadly, they have a lot of issues with ethno-nationalism and overlapping jurisdiction among patriarchates.

There were once talks between Anglicans and Orthodox about uniting with each other, but alas, they could not tolerate the ordination of women that Anglicanism embraced, though in a cool manner, at that time.

@Christina would be a bigger help than me.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    I'm not sure about this specific church, they encourage confession to a priest, which is one of the main reasons I left the Roman Catholic Church in the first place

4. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    That is a very large part of EO, yes.

5. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
  6. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    I would only do it if there is basis for it in scripture.

PotterMcKinney likes this.
  7. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Aidan and Lowly Layman like this.
  8. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    There is, kind of. We do confession too, but it's not auricular usually. You can do auricular confession, though.

9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I have become quite a fan of EO over the years. Their worship, especially the chanting, is quite lovely to behold. I especially enjoy the Ancient Faith radio app.

However, I'll take and Anglican service any day.

10. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Does anyone here speak Greek

11. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I think they are similar to the Anglicans, in that they confess to God in the presence of a priest, who exercise his bible based authority to absolve sins in Christ's name.

12. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Καλημέρα!

13. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Wait, I thought that was only with Anglican Catholics, I thought normal Anglicans forbade that.

14. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    And isn't it voluntary

15. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I don't believe it was ever abolished. Anglo-Catholics might emphasize it more, but I was under the impression that it's always been a thing to personally confess in Anglicanism, though it is a textbook "all can, none must, some should."

Lowly Layman likes this.
  16. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    I'm still deciding whether or not to continue with my beliefs, Mary, the saints, candles, heck even the admin said in order to be an "Anglican" on the web I had to adhere to the 39 articles, which go against my personal practices

17. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    On this site, those who subscribe to the 39 Articles get a little bit of privilege, but not much. I have not declared assent to them, yet, and have noticed no detriment to my being here.

I would, however, like to hear what practices keep you from exploring those Articles further; perhaps I or someone can help you to understand?

alphaomega likes this.
  18. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    XXII. Of Purgatory.
    The Romish Doctrine concerning Purgatory, Pardons, Worshipping and Adoration, as well of Images as of Reliques, and also invocation of Saints, is a fond thing vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of Scripture, but rather repugnant to the Word of God.
    This is what goes against my personal beliefs, the intercession of saints, which obviously means Mary, which then means I can't use prayer candles or the Marian rosary

19. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes, in EO you have to
    In EO a private confession to a priest is required before one can partake in Holy Communion. This was mot true in the early Church nor required in any Ecumenical Council as far as I know. In Anglicanism, the whole congregation has a general confession and the priest pronounces absolution.

PotterMcKinney likes this.
  20. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    It is best to understand what exactly is meant by invocation of saints. As I've said before, there is a difference in praying with the communion of saints in common praise of the name of God, sometimes with certain saints in mind, as the Church has always done, and calling upon the saints to help us in matters which God alone can handle. To do the former is a holy thing that we do at least every Sunday and should do more often, and can be done with Marian emphasis and prayer candles (at least the Marian prayers; I'm quite ignorant on prayer candles). The latter shows a lack of immediate trust in God. It is a thin line, perhaps, but not one indiscernible. To use my former example, St. Joseph eternally prays for us and with us to God in common prayer and praise, and it is good to remember that and consciously pray with him and acknowledge his prayer for us. It is merely superstition to think he is actively helping us sell our house. That is the difference.

I have to ask, then, what do you say and pray with your Rosary and candles?