I thought the ACA was going to put out their own '28 BCP?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Anglo1, Mar 31, 2017.

1. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I'm definitely concerned with having a BCP that retains not only Anglican heritage, but also the Jude 3 faith once entrusted to the saints. I'm afraid the '79 goes in ways that are not conducive to either objective. I'm not too familiar with the ACNA trials, but I have given them a cursory look. They do good things and bad things. I have some baseline concepts:

Separate contemporary language and traditional language, perhaps by having the traditional language as a supplement to the regular BCP. There isn't any need, in my opinion, to have both cluttering up the thing, and if I had to pick one, I'd personally pick contemporary.

Have a single Eucharistic prayer, maybe two, but no more than. I don't know of anywhere that uses C ad I didn't even know D existed until recently.

Emphasize penitence and human sinfulness like it used to. There is no purpose to watering down our sinfulness because it only waters down the Gospel.

These are my very, very lay opinions on the thing. I'd be happy to see a BCP that did these things at least.

2. Enigmius

Enigmius New Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican/Episcopalian
    I prefer the *olde* language.
    It is part of the reason I'm drawn to Anglicanism. The old form of the English language, to me, helps me feel that ancient connection to my ancestors. It is something that they would recognize and that makes me feel closer to them.
    I would hate it if they did away it.

3. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    A very valid concern. I like it to some degree, but at the same time, I feel like it defeats the purpose of the Protestant crusade of having our religion in the vernacular. A difference in taste, I suppose :).

Botolph likes this.
  4. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The only things about the 1662 service I would even consider might be in need of changing would possibly be inserting the Benedictus after the Sanctus and maybe the Agnus Dei before Communion, and perhaps adding a third Bible reading from the Old Testament (so OT, Epistle, and Gospel). Other than those minor points, its perfect.

anglican74 likes this.
  5. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I want to take this back a little bit; we just used D this morning. The priest showed me!

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    !!

7. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If my post caused confusion, it was originally meant to be in reply to Shane R's post about a modernised version of the BCP Communion Service.

8. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    No confusion at all, your post perfectly captured my feelings on the subject of the old Prayer Book. When something is so great I don't see why these people keep needing to try to put out new revisions and alterations!