Good Anglican seminaries

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Khater, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Khater

Khater Member

United States
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic-SSPX
    I've read various articles on VirtueOnline recently that discuss the struggles that liberal seminaries are having. (EDS is merging with Union, another liberal seminary) That got me wondering about the good Anglican seminaries that remain. From what I see, there seem to be 2 solid Anglican seminaries in America; Nashotah House and Trinity School for Ministry. Then there's Wycliffe Hall at Oxford. I hear that Nashotah tends to be more Anglo-Catholic while TSM and Wycliffe Hall tend to be more Evangelical, but what does that mean practically? What are the real differences between Nashotah, Wycliffe Hall, and TSM? Would the theology classes at Nashotah be a lot different from the theology classes at TSM or Wycliffe Hall? Would a Reformed(Calvinist) Anglican with an appreciation for high liturgy be welcome at Nashotah? Are there any grads of these schools on here?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)

One of the better ones is the Reformed Episcopal Seminary. Also there is Ridley Hall in Cambridge is similar to Wycliffe Hall in Oxford.

Any one of these will be good for you. If you want to travel to England to study I would highly recommend Wycliffe and Ridley (which are similar).

alphaomega likes this.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Why go to England if a solidly Anglo - Catholic seminary is available in US?

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have not been impressed with the product that TSM turns out. It may still claim to be evangelical but it is thoroughly infested with Charismatics.

As for Virtue giving them a plug, of course, they were the first two seminaries ACNA endorsed and Virtue and his staff are nothing if not ACNA homers.

There is Regent College in Vancouver, where Packer has been in residence for many years, which is well respected. We Continuers have seminaries too. Many are sketchy fly by night places (much like Ashford and University of Phoenix in secular education- i.e. if you pay tuition you graduate) but there are a couple of good ones.

I'll leave this link: divinityschool.org
    It is the only continuing school I know of actively pursuing accreditation.

anglican74 likes this.
  5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Fascinating. Who are St. Andrews affiliated with or run by?

6. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    For several years now, St. Andrew's has been an affiliate of the Orthodox Anglican Church. However, the staff is somewhat eclectic in make-up and other continuing jurisdictions permit students to attend. Doctoral candidates arrive from a number of denominations.

7. Khater

Khater Member

United States
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic-SSPX
    Shane
    What are your thoughts on Nashotah House?

8. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I can't say much about Nashotah House. I've only known a couple of guys who went there and one had gone to TSM for his M.Div. and Nashotah for his Doctoral work. I briefly looked into the school at one point and thought it was prohibitively expensive.

9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

...aren't they all

10. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If they have accreditation they are. And accreditation is very expensive to obtain. So the expense is something of a self perpetuating cycle.

Interestingly, REC runs two unaccredited seminaries: Cranmer House and Cummins. You would be hard pressed to find a bishop or canon outside of the REC fold or APA who takes any notice of them. I've found it a bit odd that with all of the rancor and legal battles between ACNA and TEC that ACNA was still using TEC seminaries. Perhaps they felt the same as they have worked with Gordon-Conwell and Asbury to establish Anglican tracks.

It seems to me that TSM may be positioning itself to become independent of TEC. They now have Lutheran and Presbyterian tracks and a large share of ACNAs aspirants.