The Bible and blood sacrifices

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by seekingtruth, Jan 6, 2017.

1. seekingtruth

seekingtruth New Member

USA
    After studying the Bible, I've been thinking about this a lot, and it bothers me: Why is there so much discussion of blood sacrifices in the Bible? When I first read the Bible, I didn't expect to find so many, but it seems like it's all over. Why would God need blood from others?

Has anyone else struggled with this? After reading this article:
    http://dawn666blacksun.angelfire.com/Torah_and_Living_Blood_Sacrifice.html
    I feel even more confused. Do you think that there is a deeper meaning behind the mention of blood in the Bible?

Anyway, thanks for listening, I wanted to see if I could get some more opinions on this.

2. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I guess payment for sin/breaking the law was to be paid for with something we cannot make, Life. Maybe the seriousness of taking life for sin was to get us to realize the consequences of our actions, of choosing wrong instead of right....I have been told this is part of the greater meaning of Jesus on the cross. In effect He says" this is what you do to your life, your loved ones, your community, when you don't obey the teachings of God. He gave you these commandments out of love like a Loving Father. I,who am innocent of all sin, show you the results of living a sinful life so you wont have to...I suffer as an example so you will turn from a sinful life and live a life of righteousness..."
    Scripture says Jesus will make all things new,restore all things, Psalms puts forth the assertion that reality is like a dream. Who knows? Maybe all bad, all wrong will be as a bad dream and everything will be made good and pure. "As it was in the beginning...."

3. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome to the forum

4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Good Evening Seeking.

Why is blood talked about so much in the scriptures? Because of our sin and God's love for us.

St Paul in his letter to the Romans (6:23) tells us the wages of sin is death. Our sin offends God. As a just God He can not allow sin to go unpunished. Our sin is rebellion against God. We should die due to our sins. Immediately. Before sin there was no death. sin leads to death. Read the first three chapters of Genesis. As St Augustine said, before the fall we had the ability not to sin, after the fall we do not have the ability not to sin. Humanity sinned. God was merciful. But a price had to be paid, God showed us the terrible price of our sin. Gen 3:21 God killed animals to provide skins, blood was shed, to not only cover our skin, but our souls.

God tells us in Leviticus 17 that blood is life. He is the God of life. Blood is the atonement for sin. Repeats it in Deuteronomy 12.

Jesus, God in flesh, came to make atonement for us. His blood was shed once and forever to cover our sins. Animals were only temporary. Read the narratives on the "Last Supper" or the institution of the Eucharist. Matthew 26:28 where Jesus tells us His blood is the blood of the new and everlasting covenant God makes with His people.

Hope this helps.

blessings

Fr. Mark

5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Jesus, God made man, made a blood sacrifice of Himself on the torture implement that is the cross, and it blows my mind to think that He did it for me!