Give not what is holy to dogs

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Lowly Layman, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    One must conclude that the matter has not been thought through.

It would seem that some retraining is required - and let me hasten to add I mean re-training of the clergy involved.

It is not even liberal - it is quite simply demented!

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Sick!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    Really? How shocking. I've not heard of this before.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    When I first heard about it, when it happened, it was at a Synod for the Diocese. When it was announced what the Episcopal Church and the ACiC was doing.....most of us were stunned to the point of speechless. Yes a bunch of priest speechless. As we discussed it...the next day after retiring to the bar for a beer or two....we realized it was the logical pathway for groups who abandon scripture and go through the motions. These "priests" were seminary trained. Obviously they were not trained on the Gospel, Christology or the Eucharist. The reaction of the parishes were most upsetting. They attacked the Christians for being upset with the abuse of our Lord in the Eucharist.

Reminded me of what I saw after a Baptist Lords Supper. The leftovers were consumed by kids jostling over them behind the fellowship hall. And the pastor was also throwing the left over crackers on the ground for the dogs and birds. My consolation was that it was not the Eucharist.

Sadly nothing the TEC or ACiC and now the CoE does shocks me anymore. I expect it now. It is in their nature. Sadly.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

6. apologetic

apologetic Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    When Christ said " give not what is holy to dogs" he wasn't talking literally about dogs, he actually was referring to the gentiles and that the holy bread (Christ) was to be offered to the Jews first and foremost.

However Christ died for the sins of mankind, and as far as I understand, mankind alone. So I agree, this is deplorable.

7. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    It's amazing how through all that our Lord knew the Gentiles would be the ones to anxiously receive Him, both Body and Blood.

Cameron, Aidan and Lowly Layman like this.
  8. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

9. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Apostasy.

10. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    No belief or erroneous belief in the Real Presence

Tuxedo America likes this.
  11. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    These absurdities - they give the very flesh and blood of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour - to animals, beings without immortal souls: without concern of our fear due to God. Are there not harsh words in the catechism against this? Fearing God?

The modern churches will do what they want. They look at God and say, 'you're responsible for our sin.' I had a chat with a lady minister in the Anglican Church about this once. She told me, regarding same-sex marriage, that "the creator has to take some responsibility for His actions." I was taken aback. I almost heaved my tea.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Anglican04 and Tuxedo America like this.
  12. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    Jesus probably didn't have our four-legged friends in mind when He said that- but it should go without saying that actual dogs should not be receiving the sacraments. One would think the clergy would unanimously understand this.

Anglican04 likes this.
  13. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Just found it. Common Prayer, p548:

Answer: My duty toward God is,
    To believe in Him, to fear Him, and to love Him, with all my heart, with all my mind, with all my soul, and with all my strength: to worship Him, to give Him thanks, to put my whole trust in Him, to pray to Him. To honour His holy Name and His Word: And to serve Him truly all the days of my life.

If one is a priest, one ought to study the catechism of the Church he is a priest of.

14. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America Member

United States
    Religion:
    Latin Rite Catholic
    I wonder what she expects God to say to her about this?

"I am sorry- it turns out that my foolishness is not wiser than human wisdom"?

Why would someone choose to serve God, while simultaneously believing that He has some explaining to do?

Aidan likes this.
  15. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    But doesn't the bible say to "preach the gospel to every creature"? :laugh:

Anglican04 likes this.
  16. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The paradox presented. She blew me away. It's frightening, as she was the vicaress of a large parish.

Tuxedo America likes this.
  17. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

I do this with my dog time to time lol.

Cameron likes this.
  18. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The folk religion of our day tells its adherents that the dog is in a better place and that they will see it again in the hereafter, as long as they are a thoroughly Pelagian good person who does good in the community.

Anglican04 likes this.
  19. MadHermit

MadHermit New Member

usa
    Religion:
    United Methodist
    Consider these 3 anecdotes about an adorable little medical dog named Toedoe:
    (1) As a pastor, I once had this pet/ Communion dilemma. Rose has a devastating disease that has ruined her immune system and, as a result, she needs a medical dog. During my home visits to Rose, she would give me doggie treats to serve Toedoe, so that Toedoe and I became pals. When Rose came forward for Holy Communion, Toedoe always rode atop her motorized wheelchair. One Sunday, after I served Rose, Todoe noticed thait the Communion wafers looked just like her doggie treats. So when I gave her no wafer, she was appalled and whined pathetically, laying a horrible guilt trip on me! I thought to myself, "Maybe next time I should keep a doggie treat nearby to serve Toedoe after I served Rose. Just then Jesus popped His saying into my mind, "Give not what is holy to the dogs." I responded, "But Lord, did you really have adorably expectant dogs like Toedoe in mind when you said that?"

(2) Another Toedoe story. On home visits, I would lay hands on Rose and pray for a healing touch. As Rose cheered up, Toedoe would express affection towards me. But if Rose continued crying, Toedoe would glare at me and bark as if I wasn't performing my pastoral care role well enough. Well, once after church, I was praying for the sick upfront and Rose waited with Toedoe for me to pray for Dorla. But when Toedoe saw that I would pray for Dorla first, she began barking furiously at me. I smiled and apologized to Dorla, saying that poor Toedoe has no concept of Wait Your Turn. Dorla just laughed and waited till I prayed for Rose, and Toedoe affectionately whimpered her approval.

(3) My 3rd Toedoe story is not unprecedented in Rose's life. Rose was taken to our local Wal-mart with Toedoe, who never barks except for perceivef spiritual slights, begin barking furiously at a lady leaving the store. Rose's caregiver warned, "Ma'am, that's Rose's medical dog. So you better go to the hospital Emergency ward right away to get checked out!" Late that night, Rose received a call from the Emergency ward and the nurse who had previously treated Rose said, "I'm not supposed to do this because of privacy laws, but I just had to let you know that your dog just saved a woman's life!" No, I never served Toedoe Communion, but I wish there was some way acknowledge Toedoe as God's chosen instrument.

20. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of dogs. Stories like this just stress me out.