Should the Church of England close because of its history?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Andrewofthetribe, Nov 27, 2016.

1. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are a lot of churches in a lot of denominations that are not very welcoming. I think that is why it is up to us individually to be lights in this cold world. People seem to have forgotten to have compassion on others, loving others because that is what our Savior wants of us. Our Savior, the one we love and serve first and foremost. I think we say and hear gospel truths so much that they have almost no meaning in our lives. If prayers are mechanical how much good are they? Do we really talk with our Master?To be honestly caring and loving to others who are suffering, will make a difference in this world. Church denominations are all imperfect, Jesus must come first....

Katharos, Christina, Madeline and 2 others like this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Surely the continuing Anglican faith is a type of reformation?

3. Andrewofthetribe

Andrewofthetribe New Member

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    Not Jesus himself let's get this straight as it's caused enough mystery for centuries. The message of Jesus Christ should come first the message of hope and everlasting peace, until this message arrives at the door of the Church of England no commonfolk of the land will believe in the authority of the church leaders, let history show this to be true, let the dwindling congregation of old ladies continue. Lol the Church of England.

alphaomega likes this.
  4. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    shall we look upon their history ? I think not, I'm not an Anglican ,I'm Church of England, let the anglicans look upon their own history, I shall not preach hatred of anyone else's church, shall we forget the nursery rhymes we taught our children? I shall not speak badly of their churches, it is for Christians of all churches to look upon themselves and find the message of hope given to them. We must look at the mokes in our own eyes not in the eyes of our cousins. Have we learnt nothing throughout our struggles? Let us pass on the message to our own lest we forget the fallen souls of our country men and women that have died to please an authority that is not Christ. Let's put our hands up and tell the world we got it wrong! No more Oranges and lemons !Let there be peace amongst us all.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am not sure if you are making a point here, or if you have missed something.

The Church of England is a Member Church of the Anglican Communion. The Church of England is made up of a number of Dioceses finding their focus of unity in the Archbishop of Canterbury.

As a result of expansion through the days of the British Empire, the English Church spread throughout the earth and the independent national churches sometimes called the Church of England in XYZ remained in Communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury. My own Church is now called the Anglican Church of Australia, and we are in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Anglican Consultative Council is made up of a number (20+) Churches in Communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury. Anglicanism of late has become a little more fractured over a range of issues and the are a number of Churches who retain the ethos of Anglican, and are not members of the Anglican Consultative Council as such. A number of these Churches have formed a second tier of Anglicanism called GAFCON.

So it is quite possible to be Anglican without being Church of England. I am not sure that it is possible to be Church of England without being Anglican.

It is a bit of a clergy joke in Australia to talk about the Church of England people, (meaning people who still call them selves Church of England even though we have been the Anglican Church of Australia for nearly 50 years.) Sometimes it takes a while for these things to filter through.

Christina likes this.
  6. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    Thank you for post it was very imfomative, does this mean as a life born member of the Church of England I also have a voice in the Anglican communion?

7. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    :yes:

Andrewofthetribe likes this.
  8. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    Hi Andrew. I used to go to Church when I was a lot younger, then I stopped going for many years. Recently God called me back to Him - a long story that I won't go into here. I decided to try a fairly local Anglican Church in the Anglo Catholic tradition. A beautiful old Church - probably similar to the one in your village. I made contact with members through the Church website and started going at first to a Thursday morning service. The people and the Priest were really welcoming. You are right, the people within the building make the Church. Make contact with them and go along. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Aidan and Botolph like this.
  9. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It means, in absence of any other information, that you are indeed an Anglican. Welcome among us.

Aidan and Christina like this.
  10. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The Church of England is a beautiful expression of Church catholic. God bless, keep, guide, and reform her until that remains is the spotless bride. Amen!

Christina, Botolph and Aidan like this.
  11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Perhaps Andrew thinks the term "Anglican" only refers to continuing Anglicanism?

12. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    BuddedCrossGold.png
    Faith of our Fathers, Holy Faith, I will be true to thee until death.

Aidan and Lowly Layman like this.
  13. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    Thank you for your kind words of encouragement Christina, you are a message of hope in a world filled with hatred and mistrust. Unfortunately yet again my history has impeded my abilty to gain trust. The Church I speak of was built by a rich man who wanted his son to preach a message of Christ? When shall we see the message of a carpenter? I have heard no news of his message.

14. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    Thank you for letting me see I have a voice within this community. Does the Church of England answer to this community do they have any authority within my churches walls? How shall I rebuild my church with no voice?

15. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    I don't know what the term Anglican means to me, it's never been spoken of within my church, I'm only invited to weddings and funerals lol.

16. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    Thank you Phillip, for your message of death speaks to me of sacrifice and within this death we Shall find resurrection, this is where we shall find hope within our new temple.

17. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The word Anglican originates in ecclesia anglicana, a medieval Latin phrase dating to the Magna Carta (1215) and before, which means the "English Church". Adherents of Anglicanism are called "Anglicans". The great majority of Anglicans are members of churches which are part of the international Anglican Communion. There are, however, a number of churches that are not within the Anglican Communion which also consider themselves to be Anglican, most notably those referred to as Continuing Anglicanchurches, and those which are part of the Anglican realignment movement.​

You may find the Wikipedia article a handy starting place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicanism

The Anglican Communion website also has some good information http://anglicancommunion.org/identity/about.aspx

The Church of England Website has a page on being an Anglican https://www.churchofengland.org/our-faith/being-an-anglican.aspx

The Anglican Communion expresses the Mutual Responsibility and Interdependence of the Body of Christ. As such old kingdom motifs of power and authority have less meaning in this king built with hearts and minds, not palaces and power.

In the silence of the night we shall hear the clarion call of the bells that announces all is well.

My soul doth magnify the Lord : and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
    For he hath regarded : the lowliness of his handmaiden.
    For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed.
    For he that is mighty hath magnified me : and holy is his Name.
    And his mercy is on them that fear him : throughout all generations.
    He hath shewed strength with his arm : he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
    He hath put down the mighty from their seat : and hath exalted the humble and meek.
    He hath filled the hungry with good things : and the rich he hath sent empty away.
    He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel : as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed for ever.

18. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    I love the Magnificat so very much, thank you

Christina and Lowly Layman like this.
  19. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    Sorry posted in error

20. Andrewofthetribe

Uk
    Religion:
    CofE
    Sad that no one from my own church has not even bothered to defend their history and faith :(