Anglicans and use of the Apocrypha

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Adam Warlock, Jun 23, 2012.

?

Does Your Anglican Church use the Apocrypha?

1. My Province/National Church uses it

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. My Province/National Church does not use it

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. My Parish uses it

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. My Parish does not use it

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. I consider the Apocrypha to be Scripture

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  6. I do not consider the Apocrypha to be Scripture

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    The Church of England Lectionary for the BCP and Common Worship both have readings from the Apocrypha/Deuterocanon. Looking at the 2012 edition of the Lectionary alternative readings are given for those who are not disposed to use the Apoc/DC ones.

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Many Church Fathers proclaim the Apocrypha to be outside the realm of Inspired Scripture, but many also attest that it is good and edifying to be read in Church. After all, did St. Paul not quote pagan philosophers when in Athens? We need not make the Apocrypha part of our standard measure/rule/tenet of faith, as the Scriptures are, but they may be read for spiritual edification.

In my Canadian Book of Common Prayer, 1962, the Book of Wisdom is read from extensively in the days immediately succeeding Pentecost. I am sure there are other Apocryphal writings thus read, but I'd have to look them up. :)

Mercy likes this.
  4. Adam Warlock

Interesting. So England and Canada also read from it. Anybody know about ACNA?

Remembrance likes this.
  5. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE

The English Prayer Books have contained readings from the Apoc. since the first book of 1549. Looking through the Lectionary in my 1662 book, Ecclesiasticus seems to be most extensively read. Wisdom and Baruch also occur.

The Common Worship Lectionary delves into several other books of the Apoc. I've noticed Esdras, Judith, Maccabees & Tobit coming up.

Scottish Monk and Remembrance like this.
  6. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    This is by no means definitive. However, the website of the ACNA Diocese of the South lists the reading of Wisdom of Solomon 1:13-15; 2:23-24 for the Revised Common Lectionary (RCL) for Sunday Closest to June 29. The translation appears to be the NRSV.

...Scottish Monk

7. Adam Warlock

Ah, very interesting!

8. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

So, your avatar just about sums up your day, eh? (My former husband is Canadian, hence the "eh.":p)

9. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    the "eh" is quite often used by a New Zealand brethren, only they normally throw a mate in there as well.... eh mate!

PS! they can't play rugby or cricket either.... LOL

10. Anna Scott

LOL. Well then, guess our Canadian friends don't have a monopoly on "eh." :p

11. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Mostly the Episcopal Church sees the Apocrypha as non-canonical, and doctrine/dogma cannot be derived from it. However, it considered good for person reading for the purposes of edification or any other personal purpose. There are occasions where a reading from the apocrypha is used in the lectionary. The reasonings I've heard is that while non-canonical and no dogma can be derived from it still has a purpose. We don't derive doctrine or dogma from sermons, but we still have them. Those are the reasonings I've heard. There are (very few in number) where there is some reading from the apocrypha in the Office as well.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  12. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion, Article VI includes a precise statement of the contents of the Old Testament scriptures.

VI. Of the Sufficiency of the Holy Scriptures for Salvation.
    Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation. In the name of the Holy Scripture we do understand those canonical Books of the Old and New Testament, of whose authority was never any doubt in the Church.

Of the Names and Number of the Canonical Books.
    Genesis, The First Book of Samuel, The Book of Esther,
    Exodus, The Second Book of Samuel, The Book of Job,
    Leviticus, The First Book of Kings, The Psalms,
    Numbers, The Second Book of Kings, The Proverbs,
    Deuteronomy, The First Book of Chronicles, Ecclesiastes or Preacher,
    Joshua, The Second Book of Chronicles, Cantica, or Songs of Solomon,
    Judges, The First Book of Esdras, Four Prophets the greater,
    Ruth, The Second Book of Esdras, Twelve Prophets the less.

And the other Books (as Hierome saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners; but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine; such are these following:
    The Third Book of Esdras, The rest of the Book of Esther,
    The Fourth Book of Esdras, The Book of Wisdom,
    The Book of Tobias, Jesus the Son of Sirach,
    The Book of Judith, Baruch the Prophet,
    The Song of the Three Children, The Prayer of Manasses,
    The Story of Susanna, The First Book of Maccabees,
    Of Bel and the Dragon, The Second Book of Maccabees.

All the Books of the New Testament, as they are commonly received, we do receive, and account them Canonical.

Reference: AnglicansOnline.org

In the Book of Homilies, the reading of which is commended in The Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion, Article XXXV, the apocryphal books are frequently quoted, and are even referred to as the Word of God. The Second Book of Homilies (1563), Homily 10 "Of the reverend estimation of God's Word" includes this statement : The book of Wisdom is commended as the "infallible and undeceivable word of God."

Reference: Bruce, F. F. (1988). The Canon of Scripture, p. 105-107. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press.

13. Adam Warlock

I have always heard "the word of the Lord" at the end of an Apocrypha reading. In no way am I disputing Andrea's statement at all :) ; that has just been my experience in the Episcopal Church.

Interesting Book of Homilies find there, Scottish Monk!

14. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Yeah that's true. When the apocrypha is used it replaces the OT lesson. I think people just use the formula "The word of the Lord" because they just didn't come up with something extra to say to replace it. Could be wrong though.

15. Anna Scott

Adam,
    Noticed your poll show 3 to 1 in favor of Apocrypha as Scripture. Interesting.
    Anna

16. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Indeed Adam, it happens in the CofE also.

Reminds me of a humourous incident in church a couple of months ago. A dear lady who often reads the Epistle was reading out a particularly long list of announcements and notices. At the end she said "This is the word of the Lord" to which a goodly number of the congregation duly responded "Thanks be to God"!

Anna Scott and Andrea like this.
  17. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    histerical

18. Anna Scott

That made me laugh. Things like that happen.

I had my own blooper this month. We have the Eucharist every Thursday in our small Chapel, as only a hand full of people attend. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 people besides the Priest and sometimes up to 20.

One Thursday upon arrival I was asked to do one of the readings. I was really upset about something going on in my life and was rather distracted. When the Priest asked us to be seated for the readings; I immediately read the one I was assigned. The only problem was, I was assigned the 3rd reading, not the first. I was so embarrassed, but the Priest simply asked for the 1st reading after I finished.

When I went to Chapel this Thursday, my friend who assigns the readings gave me the 1st reading. I said, well it's a good thing you gave me the 1st reading because---she interrupted me and said, "Because you'll read it first anyway?" We both laughed.

Things happen.

Anna

Kammi, Gordon and Symphorian like this.
  19. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    My parish does not use the Apocrypha but I personally see no problem with it, as said above the BCP does have Bible verses inside it which are from the Apocryha to use and I would not object if it was used in the parish. However, our Vicar is a woman and there are lots of things I do not completely agree with.

Toma likes this.
  20. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I see the apocrypha as scripture, but not canonical scripture.. it's still profitable for study.

Mercy and Toma like this.