Will the Church Accept Me Into Its Ordained Ministry?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by DICKSON NG'HILY, Sep 16, 2016.

1. DICKSON NG'HILY

DICKSON NG'HILY Member Anglican

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This is an account of my journey toward the truth of Christ and my aspirations to share that truth with the world as a co-worker in God’s ministry.

I was born in polygamy family in 1978; my father didn’t care about us so we grew up without experiencing our father’s love because we used to see him once in a while and when he is drunk.

Influenced with ungodly life he was living, my father divorced my mother. This move, off-course affected my life. I disliked attending church services and this made me to know nothing about Christianity.

In my life, there was no spiritual growth, no confession of sin, and no developing my relationship with God through Bible reading and prayer. On the contrary, I sought to satisfy my sinful desires whenever the opportunity presented itself.

However, a fear of dying and going to hell started descending on me and it stayed there for quite some time thus made me searching for real peace, I went into becoming a Muslim but could not find the real inner peace.

In August 1993, I started attending a Pentecostal congregation that was near where I lived; I felt a call of God in my life in 1998 and was ordained in 2003 and thus started ministering to various Pentecostal congregations on a part time basis.

Nevertheless, in 2013 I resigned from Pentecostal and I joined a local Anglican congregation as a lay person because I felt incomplete, I felt something was missing, I felt that we in the Pentecostalism were not real, we were fake.

Being an Anglican, I developed a desire to pray more and to deepen my Christian faith. My love for Christ grew so as my love for the Church. More and more I found myself longing to give my life to God completely.

I do know that to know Christ and his love causes us to want to share that knowledge and love with everyone we meet. To be reconciled with the Father and to know ourselves as his beloved children fills us with the desire to tell the whole world of the gift of his salvation.

But on the other hand, I have been finding difficult to realize my vision of becoming an effective instrument of God to aid and lead people to saving faith and discipleship in Jesus Christ by proclaiming the gospel thus participate in the advancement of the Kingdom of God.

Therefore, I talked with our Parish Priest (Father Mtwara) and he was happy and he started giving some church duties such as preaching, he made me one of parish council member and he also introduced me to the then Vicar General who in turn asked me to write an official letter requesting for training towards ordination which I wrote.

Three years have passed I never received any reply, I inquired from Father Mtwara, but he has not informed of any development except telling the one who was dealing with my case is no longer in office and therefore I should be wait which in fact I did but it is now three years have passed and nothing has work out.

At the end of this month, I am expecting to travel to UK for studies (MA in International Multimedia Journalism) at University of Kent. I am to collect my Visa on 20th but I have been asking myself on how I am going to fulfill the call of God into my life.

I am more than ready to even change the major by studying theology so as to realize the call to ministry but my question is, will the church accept me into the ministry?

I long to see parishes where true disciples of Christ are formed, Gospel ministries exercised, and communities transformed, especially in disadvantaged areas. Moreover, such parish needs priests who are called by God, adequately grounded in His knowledge, who demonstrate a character that honors God.

And this is what I live for; to love and honor Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior; to help people to grow in a loving relationship to Him; to become committed members of the church; by using our gifts to share the love of Christ with others.

Evangelization begins in the heart that has been evangelized, the heart that has heard the Good News and been converted; the heart that has known God’s mercy and love. We cannot be silent about what we have seen and heard and felt. We have a duty to bear witness to God.

It’s easy to take for granted the amazing gift of salvation given from God the Father through Jesus Christ. Every time I share the gospel and witness a transformed life; I’m more determined to reach out to the lost. It takes time and effort to disciple people in Christ, but God gives us the wisdom and strength when we trust in His direction.

Please, anyone with suggestion on how I can fulfill God’s call in my life, please I would love to hear because I really need to be empowered and equipped with tools and skills that will also help me to train and develop others in their faith and ministry, I do believe that studying for Christian ministry is challenging and rewarding because giving my life in the service of others is a calling to follow Christ. Thank You.

Respectful submitted,

Dickson Ng'hily

Aidan, Andy, Peteprint and 1 other person like this.
  2. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dickson, first of all congratulations to you dear brother for having overcome so much negativity in your early life, and for having found God's love and peace. Honestly, reading your story it sounds to me like God is opening the way for you. You had a closed door with the Vicar, but now in your life you have a new direction.

My advice to you is, quite simply: GO. Go to the UK and study and be involved with an Anglican congregation. The path to fulfilling God's will is often not straight and clear and a walk in a rose garden. Go, and put your trust in God to show the way as you go forward. And best wishes and every blessing to you as you go.

DICKSON NG'HILY likes this.
  3. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you so much my dear sister Madeline, I will abide with your counsel. Thank you once again and may God bless you richly.

4. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    If you have the opportunity, come to the UK Dickson. The University of Kent is well know for taking international students, so should be well set up with support systems. Have you visited the UK before? As you will know the University is in the Cathedral City of Canterbury - there will be the Cathedral to visit and there will be some lovely Anglican Churches in the area. Join one and get involved. Trust in God and he will direct you and guide you in what he wants you to do.

5. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi Christina, the you so much for your encouragement and guide...I have been to UK only once and it was just attending a 1-week training with Reuters Thomson Foundation. I did not have enough time to explore the city so as to know which is which since you have enlightened me that the University is in the Cathedral City of Canterbury, I will make sure I get connected to one of the Anglican churches in the area. This confirms to me that I am on the right track, thank you once again for your guidance.

Madeline and Christina like this.
  6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi Dickson

God's time and our time are not always the same. God's purpose and our purpose are not always the same. Someone with a degree MA in International Multimedia Journalism may well have much to offer in the forwarding of God's purpose. Trust God, and see what will be revealed. To me the opportunity to study in Kent must be a great blessing. Seize the blessing of this day, and offer thanksgiving. What a joy to be able to be so close to the ancient see of Augustine. Travel well.

7. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    I have just looked up your course on the University of Kent website and I think it might taught be at the University's Medway campus near the town of Rochester in Kent, rather than at the University's main Canterbury Campus. However, Rochester is also a historic area, it is only about 30 miles from Canterbury and there is a free bus between the two campuses. Rochester Cathedral is the second oldest Cathedral in the UK.
    http://www.rochestercathedral.org/history

8. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah, my course is MA taught and it is done at the Medway campus of the University of Kent. In fact I was supposed to be there from today but I could not make, hopefully end of next week I will be arriving over there.

9. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I get your point brother Philip Barrington, indeed God’s time and our time is not always the same so is God's purpose and our purpose. Offcoz, studying at Kent is a great blessing to me and I really thank God for getting me such precious opportunity. Thank you so much for brother encouraging....I really appreciate, stay blessed.

10. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Dickson, have you received the sacraments of baptism and confirmation ? You stated that you are from an evangelical background but have not mentioned the sacraments

11. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You see, when I converted to Anglican I did ask Father Mtwara to lead me and tell me anything that I was required to undertake and his response was that I should wait as everything will be done when we get feedback from Vicar General. And since I didn’t know that I was to receive the said sacraments, I had nothing to do though would participate in the Holy Communion service. So in responding to your question, I have neither baptized nor confirmed but would love to if I am required.

12. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Aidan
    I am thankful to God for letting me join this forum; in fact I was not aware of it until yesterday but one when searching for Anglican teachings. Although I don’t want to be seen as if I am blaming someone but I should confess that I was never given the right direction. And I think that is why God has connected me to you my brethren so that you may show me the right path.

13. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    G
    Go with God Brother Dickson. I wish youwell in your upcoming studies. Anglican forums are quite helpful and you will learn a lot here. Are you in the Central African Diocese?

14. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you for the wish sis Zimkhitha, absolutely I will learn a lot. No, am in East Africa Tanzania - Zanzibar

15. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Were you baptised in the Pentecostal Church? I suggest that when you get to the UK you join an Anglican Church and ask the Priest at that Church about becoming a full member of the Anglican Church. If you were baptised in the Pentecostal Church I expect that you may just need to be confirmed.

16. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes sister Christina, I was baptised in the Pentecostal church. Does the Anglican Church recognise such baptism?

17. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is one Baptism.

The requirement for the Holy Sacrament are water and the threefold name.

We are Baptised Christian (not Anglican, Pentecostal, ...). For whatever our differences and stress points may be, we do not 're-baptise' people. Any Church that 're-baptises' people is in error. We belong to Christ, Christ does not belong to us. In Baptism we have died with Christ that we might share eternal life with him.

If there is some doubt about the sacrament, the Church may conditionally baptise someone, to ensure that it is done, however we would never knowing or willing 're-baptise' someone.

In the Nicene Creed we say along with Christians everywhere we say we believe:

In one holy catholic and apostolic Church;
    we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins;
    we look for the resurrection of the dead,
    and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Sorry to bang on about this, however this is a very important theological issue, and whilst it is oecumenically important, that is not the core issue here. It is an intrinsic part of our being part of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, that we believe in one baptism. We try very hard not to say one thing and do something else. I hope I have made the point clearly enough.

Madeline and DICKSON NG'HILY like this.
  18. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you Bro Philip for the enlightenment, I am new in the Anglican Church and I didn't know the theological point of view when it comes to baptism. But you have made it clear and I have understood, thank you once again.

19. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Yes Dickson, as Philip has said, there is one Baptism. You should talk to an Anglican Priest about whether it would be good for you to be confirmed.

DICKSON NG'HILY and Madeline like this.
  20. DICKSON NG'HILY

Tanzania
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you Sis Christina, once am in UK, I will do as you suggested.

Christina likes this.