On the day Church of England permitted women bishops, the Lectionary passage condemned women clergy

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Spherelink, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Did you guys know this? I have found out of this only recently. At churches that day, even as the liberals took the English church off the cliff into heresy, the appointed lectionary passage, in God's all-knowing providence, was 1 Tim 2:11-14:

“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.”

One of the British newspapers wrote of this 'incovenient' factoid...

zimkhitha likes this.
  2. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting. One of the reasons I stuck it out in Christianity is the early witness of the church. Throwing it out leaves us with no foundation. When I left Pentecostalism, I thought I was done with religion, until I read up on the ancient faith.

WO proponents clearly think the early church was wrong about WO, but then why stop there, why not challenge other early teachings as well?

Shane R, Aidan and alphaomega like this.
  3. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting. One of the reasons I stuck it out in Christianity is the early witness of the church. Throwing it out leaves us with no foundation. When I left Pentecostalism, I thought I was done with religion, until I read up on the ancient faith.

WO proponents clearly think the early church was wrong about WO, but then why stop there? why not challenge other early teachings as well?

4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    But they do?
    Look at the TEC? Go to Virtue on Line and read the daily happenings in Anglicanism to see what else is being thrown away. WO is but the nose of the camel under the tent.

The then Presiding Bishop of the TEC, Schori, in 2007 was quoted in the Arkansas Democratic Gazette (a Newspaper) that she did not think you needed Christ for salvation. I do remember this as it was used by the Bishops to ask the African Bishops for help. They listed several heresies that the TEC embraced, maybe not every parish but the college of Bishops and the national hq, in asking form assistance.

They challenge Christology, they embrace homosexuality, embrace abortion, look for social ills and no preaching of the Gospel. They also embrace universalism......all religions are the same and lead to God. A rejection of what Christ taught that he was the only way. Not a way, the only way.
    They allow wiccans to use their buildings, Ashville NC, pray to Buddist "saints", Diocese of Arkansas, allow Muslims to use the church for their prayers, in D.C, the biggest congregation the TEC has is when the Muslims come and pray in the local parishes.

So, yes WO is the tip of the iceberg and brings in the rot.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

alphaomega likes this.
  5. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Oh no! I thou
    Oh no! I didn't know that ECUSA has gone that far. I'm also thinking of WO proponents who maintain that they are still authentic in other areas of the faith.

6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Neither did the Primates of the Communion. Back in January when they met, the first day was spent bringing the Primates up to speed on the teachings and actions of the TEC. It was reported that some of the African Primates thought it either a joke or the detractors of TEC overdoing it. When they saw the evidence......now most will not worship with TEC. And the ABoC has called for another meeting for follow up discussion. So far the Orthodox Primates have said no. I believe it was the The Most Rev. Eliud Wabukala, Kenya’s Anglican who in effect stated Anglicanism does not need Canterbury.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Aidan and zimkhitha like this.
  7. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Lol I forgot I had posted this thread back then...
    It was so sad to hear this from england that I must have blanked it out...

The providence of God in providing this lectionary reading, on the very day that the church went against the Word of God... the irony and wrathful humor of God in this situation are delicious

alphaomega likes this.
  8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Sister I assumed you were raised Anglican!