Daily Office Group

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Adam Warlock, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian

I also use plenty of ribbons in my prayer books, Bibles, and spiritual literature. And I use similar ribbon rolls as those in the link Anna provided. I use four colors for ribbons: purple, white, red, and green (colors of the church seasons).

[​IMG]

...Scottish Monk

Anna Scott likes this.
  2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Gordon,
    Interesting how different things are in Anglicanism in Australia compared to the U.S. That's one of the reasons I love these forums. We hear from people all over the world.

I read the Bible cover to cover a few years ago. As I have said before, in all my studies of the history of Christianity; the Bible is the most shocking thing I read. Holy Scripture looks very different when things are read in context, rather than pulling out a few verses here and there. The experience had a great deal to do with my leaving the Southern Baptist Church--as many of their core doctrines contradict Holy Scripture.

BCP: The Lectionary in corporate worship is organized to take the congregation through the entire Bible in a three-year period.

So, it seems The Daily Office would be an excellent way to accomplish your goal of reading the Bible in one year. :D

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

Scottish Monk likes this.
  3. Anna Scott

Scottish Monk,
    Using the colors of the Church Seasons is a good idea.
    Thanks,
    Anna

4. Anna Scott

Adam,
    This is really turning out to be a great thread. So many good ideas from everyone. Thanks for starting it!
    Anna

5. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Probably not much different I suppose the leaders of the Anglican Church of Australia figured if they could have their own prayer book as an add-on to the BCP they figured they might as well. The content is probably much the same I don't think the layout of the litany changes that much all the same parts are there... I often use my iPhone Divine Office app if I am not in a position to take my Daily Office SSO prayer book with me and the layout is pretty much the same...

I like the comment in red..... it works for me.

6. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    @ Gordon - what is the Daily Office SSO?

7. Anna Scott

Keep us posted. I was wondering if you are going to read the N.T. in the order of the Cannon, or in the order of date composed.
    Anna

8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    First of all my bad I meant SSF not SSO.... Where SSF stands for the Society of St. Francis...

The Daily Office SSF is version of the Daily Office specifically aimed at members of the Society of St. Francis simply because it contains the prayers and feast days celebrated by Franciscans in both the Roman Catholic and Anglican Franciscan Communities.

Here is a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Daily-Office-Sister-Joyce/dp/1906286159

9. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I am following the OT and NT cover to cover reading plan as outlined on www.biblegateway.com... Starts at the beginning of both and keeps going till you reach the end.

10. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Many thanks Gordon, that makes perfect sense now!

I have a version of the Franciscan Office called 'Celebrating Common Prayer'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celebrating-Common-Prayer-Society-Francis/dp/0819281298

It can be viewed online here:

http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/

This version apparently influenced the current CofE Office (Daily Prayer) found in Common Worship
    I'd be curious to find out how they all differ.

11. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    The Daily Office SSO used the 'Celebrating Common Prayer' as a base so they will be pretty close I would say. I will check out the link and compare. :)

Blessings, Gordon

Yes I went away and did a quick comparison and except of a different canticle or collect the layout and order is exactly the same.

Scottish Monk and Symphorian like this.
  12. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    There is certainly a rich array of prayer books that we can use for Daily Office...

13. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Very true. Decisions, decisions!

I sometimes wonder what Archbishop Cranmer would make of the multitude of liturgical material we now have in the CofE considering he spent years getting it to fit into one book.

Scottish Monk and Gordon like this.
  14. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Thank you Symphorian you have just answered a question that has been playing in my mind for some time...
    If I can condense the Franciscan specific prayers and feasts into an iPhone/iPad app I will do that and just use the our Prayer Book for Australia as my only prayer book.

15. Anna Scott

Sounds like a good plan. :)