Scapular of Our Lady of Walsingham

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by HiddenApostle23, May 25, 2015.

1. HiddenApostle23

HiddenApostle23 New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican-Episcopal Church
    I am an Episcopalian in the United States and I am very interested in this Anglican devotional. Does anyone have any information on how I can obtain one?

Kammi and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I don't but I'd like to hear more. Can you point me to a credible online source that can introduce me to the practice?

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The Scapulars in general and of Walsingham in particular are an Anglo-Papalist devotional practice in England. You may find scattered fragments of it in the United States, among the Ordinariate churches, but why would you want to when you have the glories of our holy living God, and our lord Jesus Christ to focus on?

Cranmer's Crosier likes this.
  4. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    It is an interesting phenomina, going on Pilgrimage here in England, Walsingham is the favourite. Today, is a bank holiday in England and Walsingham holds an annual parade , at one time Anglo Catholics paraded in hundreds ,I've attended. To my astonishment the Walk, is picketed by the Evangelicals, and to my mind it takes us right back to the time of Edward and Eliza, a trip back in time. Unfortunately tempers flare and there is usually a strong police presence to protect the Catholic element from the wrath of the fervid Calvinists. I was instrumental in saving a young Chinese girl from being arrested for insisting on saying praying for our souls.She was doing no harm, but doing it loudly, the Anglo Catholic ladies took umbridge at her enthusiasm. I pointed out that we should be grateful for her prayers and anyhow, it was unseemly for Anglican Catholics to persecute young christians. The policeman got fed up and threatened me for interfereing in police matters and the ladies for wasting his time. When the Ordinariate fluttered about the wings, most of the pilgrims, either gave up the idea or did a runner to the Romans.
    There are a lot of practices that go on, that I look askance at, but on the whole and of its kind I think it is a miracle in its way . There are yearly pilgrimages from our two ACC, Churches hereabouts,when I was parish priest I used to lead them from S.Albans and we were joined by other continuers ,but we suffered a lot of unpleasantness from various clergy at the shrine,(all that seems to have gone now!) We then borrowed an ,'international ,' altar from some Romanists. It was unused by Rome, who preferred their own, official, ones. They made marvellous meals and the beds were better than expected. Most days, we had Mattins at 7 am, Celebrated at 7.30 am. Evensong after tea, about 7,and late prayers, Compline about 10pm. Every day a lecture was given on various subjcts concerning the faith. They were held at the Shrine, or at the Roman Place where we stayed, even so they never interfered even though our audience was some times quite big!

Kammi, Servos and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

6. Trimelda C McDaniels

Trimelda C McDaniels New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Afilliate
    RBrown likes this.
  7. Trimelda C McDaniels

Trimelda C McDaniels New Member

United States
    Religion: