Anyone on here Catholic?

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by ChristusResurrexit, Feb 21, 2015.

1. ChristusResurrexit

ChristusResurrexit Member

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I'm new to the forums, and I'm Catholic. Anyone else here Catholic? Anyone Anglicans here who consider themselves Anglo-Catholic?

Nevis likes this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

i am reatively Anglo-Catholic...and all Anglicans are catholic, just not Roman.

3. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Welcome friend, but I must disappoint you, I'm a traditional Catholic and nothing to do with Roman, or Affirming Catholics. But you are welcome for all that!

Pub Banker and Botolph like this.
  4. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    Welcome brother. I'm Anglo-Catholic.

5. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Welcome, welcome! I'm Catholic -- of the Anglican kind ;) What brings you to the good ol' forum?

Pub Banker and Botolph like this.
  6. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Wrong, Anglicans are Anglicans... And not all Catholics are Roman Catholic. "Roman" Catholic is a rite in the Church. There are also Byzantine, Copts, Chaldeans, Ethiopians, etc. etc.

7. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Eh, just bored. You know how it goes. I like Anglicans, you're good people. So, I'm here! :)

Anne likes this.
  8. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    To your first response -- wrong ;) Anglicans are Catholic. Maybe read around the forum a bit if you're wondering about this, and there are plenty of people here happy to discuss it.

Welcome! I like to think we're good people!

Pub Banker likes this.
  9. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I know what Anglicans mean when they refer to themselves as "Catholic." However, we do not recognize you as apart of the Catholic Church. We believe that there is one Catholic Church. We teach we are it. The Nicene Creed does say, "ONE, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church." I do not think it says, "Many, Holy Catholic, and Apostolic Churches."

My entire family is Anglican. I have been around you guys my entire life. I am the only Catholic in my entire family. Anglicans are great people! :)

10. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Your e-mail is interesting, but when you give your opinion as to 'our,' catholicity you give no basis for your belief, or is it that you dislike the way some Anglicans comb their hair, or brush their shoes?
    Further to your comments that are highlighted, it is true, but your own church is simply one of two that claim that title! On what do you base your claim? We don't claim that' just simply that we're catholics, being baptised according to scripture and tradition.,we hold our faith from the same source!
    Looking forward to your reply?

Yours in Christ,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  11. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    There are a few Churches that claim the title. However, those in communion with Rome are in the one and only Catholic Church. We are the same Catholic Church spoken about in the Nicene Creed. Ssint Augustine did say that there would be some Churches who claim to be Catholic. Yet we know there is only one Catholic Church.

Lol, you saw my email? I made that one up myself originally for my Play Station 3 username a few years back. Then I just decided it to use as my email I guess. :p

12. Anne

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    The specific church highchurchman was asking you about was the Orthodox Church. So his question, "your own church is simply one of two that claim that title! On what do you base your claim?" are you basing your claim on Augustine and the Nicene Creed?

Interesting that you're the only Roman Catholic in your family -- blessings to you, I can see that would be a struggle!

13. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    It would be illumiminating, if you would explain the comments about our failings in catholicity?As for your assertion of Rome's place in the Catholic schems, your positive slant is not enough
    As Charles Leslie, an Irish Priest put it, 'A story is good till the other half is told.' We have never claimed to be the One, HolyCatholic and Apostolic Church, only part of it! Indeed, we are a Communion of Catholic Believers, whilst you, are a member of the Holy Roman Church? This isn't to say your not a catholic, even though your Church did refer to itself as Protestant to to the British Government in the past! But, The Holy Roman Church would seem to be no more than a Catholic Sect, by the Church's standards.

DICKSON NG'HILY and Anne like this.
  14. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Your recognition is not important to our catholicity, any more than it is important to the eastern orthodox. We have our own branch of the Catholic Church, and yours is merely Roman, not Universal.

DICKSON NG'HILY and Anne like this.
  15. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I thought he was referring to the Anglican Communion as apart of the Catholic Church. I didn't think he was referring to Eastern Orthodox based on the whole context of our discussion. Thank you for telling me. :) I'm using the Nicene Creed and Saint Augustine as examples. There are plenty of others I can use. I base my claims off of the testimony of the early Church.

Yes, it is. I was raised Anglican. But, the Anglican communion has lost so much of its rich tradition. I couldn't stand it any longer. I also saw that the early Church testimony on Christian doctrine seem to fit what the Catholic Church is teaching. I also don't mean to come off as rude or anything, but when you refer to me as "Roman Catholic", are you refering simply to my rite, or to my whole Church? Because the entire Church is not "Roman Catholic." However, she possesses a rite which is called 'Roman Catholic.' Sorry if I come off rude, I really don't mean too! :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  16. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    That is totally false! Eastern Catholics Rites are our other lung. They are under the authority of their own patriarch, have their own traditions, etc. etc. In the end, they report back to Rome, recognizing her as the primacy of the holy Church. If you believe that the Church is "Roman" just because she adheres to Rome; then you're saying the entire early Church was Roman and not universal since she reported back to Rome always as the sole unifier of the holy Church.

17. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Your failing catholicity is that you're simply not apart of the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is only one Church, it is not divided. As Saint Cyprian says, "... while the Church, which is Catholic and one, is not cut nor divided, but is indeed connected and bound together by the cement of priest who cohere to one another." The Branch Theory is relatively new, and only in Anglicanism. There can only be one Church that is the One, Holy Catholic, and Apostolic Church. The One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church is not divided into different sects. It is one group! And there is no other name for her but just Catholic. She is not Roman (though Roman is a rite within her), she is not Anglican, nor is she Eastern Orthodox. She is just one Catholic Church... As Saint Augustine says, "... and so lastly, does the name itself Catholic, which, not without reason admits many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger ask where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel of house." He also says, ".... neither heretics nor schismatics belong to the Catholic Church; not heretics because the Church loves God, and not schismatics because the Church loves its neighbor." Again he says, ""We must hold to the Christian religion and to communication in her Church, which is catholic and which is called catholic not only by her own members but even by all her enemies. For when heretics or the adherents of schisms talk about her, not among themselves but with strangers, willy-nilly they call her nothing else but Catholic. For they will not be understood unless they distinguish her by this name which the whole world employs in her regard."

18. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The Eastern Catholics are not the same as the Eastern Orthodox, who are fully "catholic" without being part of the Uniate system or subjecting themselves to the Roman Pontiff.

Lol

Anne likes this.
  19. ChristusResurrexit

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Yeah, I know... The Eastern Catholics are our second lung. They are the eastern p[art of the Church. Another way the Church is universal is that it has both western members and eastern members. Eastern Orthodox are not Catholic. There is only one Church that is Catholic, and she goes by mainly this name.

20. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    You accept all of their sacraments don't you? All of their ordinations? The main difference is their subjection (or lack thereof) to the Pontiff. You can even go to attend their liturgies on Sunday.

Anne likes this.