Nondenominational to Pentacostal to Baptist to Anglican

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Soli Deo Gloria, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Soli Deo Gloria

Soli Deo Gloria New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi everyone,

I must sound confused. I come from a nondenominational church where I learned of the gospel, was 'saved' and baptized. In college, I attended a campus ministry and started attending a pentecostal church. I met my husband and we moved to a new place where we decided on joining a Baptist church. It wasn't until the beginning of this year that my husband decided that we were going to be Anglican.

There's much more to this change than just a decision but years of reading, praying and researching but I felt somewhat blindsided when he told me he wanted to attend an Anglican church. My thoughts were, "You mean, those dead churches where no one hears the gospel?"

It's taken almost a year for me to adjust to a whole new way of worship, but now I find that I enjoy the hymns, chants, prayers and sacraments more than I enjoyed the 'raise your hand in the air and feel the Spirit' kind of worship. My husband has been patiently showing me examples of how Anglicanism isn't dead.

I now realize how watered-down the teachings have been from the non-sacramental and non-liturgical services I've been attending my whole life. I still have a lot of questions, though.

I hope to find encouragement (especially from people who were previously Baptist or pentecostal) and answers here in this forum.

Thanks for reading!

2. halleluia

halleluia Member

welcome!
    glad you are with us.

3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Welcome! It's nice to have you here. :)

4. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome! I hope you find what you are looking for!

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! May God richly bless your time here

Soli Deo Gloria and Peteprint like this.
  6. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    Welcome. I was raised Baptist; attending from the time I was born until early 30's. I've been saved and baptized. Grew up in Sunday School, Wednesday night youth, Training Union, etc. My wife and I chose to attend an Anglican parish out of curiosity about a year and a half ago. We loved it from day one and have been going ever since.

7. Argentinian

Argentinian New Member

Argentina
    Que cuento! (What a story!) You are very welcome here.

Soli Deo Gloria likes this.
  8. Soli Deo Gloria

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Truthfully, I didn't love my experience from the start. (It wasn't love at first sight, but more like falling love as I learned more). What about the Anglican parish did you love right away? I also find it interesting that you come from a Baptist background. I feel like more and more people are coming to Anglicanism from Baptist.

9. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    I actually found the BCP first. I had stopped attending church for 15 + years. I had begun to doubt my faith. I was sick of the judgmental attitude of church goers. And, felt that I wasn't worshiping God anyway; just going to church to sing a few songs and listen to a 45-60 minute sermon.

Looking online for some sort of devotional that would help me read the Bible consistently; I came across the BCP. Something about it just spoke to me. Not only is it a beautifully written book, but I became motivated to study the Bible and began praying the Daily Office. After several months the wife and I decided to visit the nearest Anglican parish to see the Mass first hand. The folks there were so friendly and gracious. Instead of a socializing hour, there was quiet, worshipful prayer. I guess it was mostly the traditional v contemporary that I loved so much. I never liked the newer praise choruses, praise bands, and hand holding that has taken ahold of the modern church.

10. Soli Deo Gloria

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks for sharing. I agree how the BCP has s much depth in it and Anglican services have more reverence than I was used to in my previous churches.

Paddry and Stalwart like this.