The Jewish Annotated New Testament

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by BrethrenBoy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    Has anyone heard of or read this book? What did you think of it? I am currently borrowing it from my pastor. On one hand it has been very helpful in showing the connections between the Old and New Testaments that I had never seen before, and showing connections are commonalities between Christianity and Judaism that I didn't know were there. On the other hand, it sometimes leaves me questioning my face. The commentaries say things such as John the Baptist probably didn't recognize Jesus as the Messiah, that Matthew 14:3 is wrong and Herodias was actually the wife of another one of Herod's half-brothers, Herid Boethus, that Luke got some Jewish traditions and practices wrong in his gospel, that John was probably not the beloved disciple, that the book of Acts' account of the life of Paul, especially after his conversion, directly contradicts what he wrote in his own letters, and most strikingly that 1 Corinthians 3:21-23 "illustrates Paul's understanding that Christ (the Messiah) is not God, even though Christ incarnate God's wisdom and power (1.24), imparts the Holy Spirit (6.17), and is the conduit for all existence (8.6); ultimately "Christ belongs to God" (3.23) who is both a source of all that exists in the universe as well as its purpose".

2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    :loopy:
    there is such a thing?

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

sounds like Arianism

4. Pecanpie

Pecanpie New Member

US
    Religion:
    New Anglican
    What do you mean by that? Questioning your face?

That book definitely doesn't sound like it'd be my cup of tea.

5. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Why would I read a Modern Rabbinical Jewish reading of the new testament. The talmud is very anti christian.
    "For the true spiritual Israel ... are we who have been led to God through this crucified Christ." Justin Maryter

Pecanpie likes this.