How Necessary Are Bishops?

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Lowly Layman, Mar 13, 2014.

1. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

I was trying to make a point, that whilst, ,'Heretic,' appears to be offensive to you, ,'wrong belief,' simply means the same thing!
    S.Cyprian says firmly.
    "Let no one imagine that good men can depart from the Church: the wind scattereth not the wheat, nor doth the storm over throw , the tree supported by a solid root. Empty straws are tossed by the tempest: weak trees are prostrated by the fury of the whirlwind. Such as these are execrated and smote by S.John the Apostle, saying ,'They went out from us, but they were not of us.'Every such person should be shunned and avoided who is separated from the Church. He is perverse and sinneth.'

2. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    i) Yes, it is. Intolerant and out of date. A bit like the use of the word "infidel" by fundamentalists.

ii) Like people who have left the CofE?

iii) You must shun and avoid a lot of people.

3. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    The Church is supposed to avoid a lot of people.

Rev2104 likes this.
  4. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Mine isn't. We try to love our neighbours as ourselves. And to get involved in the community. We're Anglican, you see.:)

5. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Article XXXIII. Of Excommunicate Persons, how they are to be avoided.

That person which by open Denunciation of the Church, is rightly cut off from the Unity of the Church, and excommunicated, ought to be taken of the whole multitude of the faithful, as an Heathen and Publican, until he be openly reconciled by Penance, and received into the Church by a Judge that hath Authority thereunto.

6. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    So are we. :D

7. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    How many people do you know who have been excommunicated? I don't know any.

8. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

Anglican Priest Defies Church, Marries Partner

Tuesday Apr 15 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Advocate[​IMG]

An Anglican priest married his partner last week, defying his church's ban on same-sex marriages for clergy members and prompting some Church of England officials to warn of a looming "crisis," reports London's Independent .

9. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm not quite sure of the relevance of your reply, but the report you quote will test the CofE's resolve in this matter. There is no point in instigating a ban (with which, incidentally, I am in agreement) only to allow it to be defied.

10. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Who cares? :dunno:

11. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well, I care for one.

You try to fob me off with "dohs" and "dunnos", but the fact of the matter is that you tell me that "the Church is supposed to avoid a lot of people", but won't be drawn as to who they are, except people who have been excommunicated, and you don't care about them. Or perhaps you do.:hmm:

12. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Ok i got to the secound page.

A heteodox belief is any belief that is different than scripture and the councils. Are faith was given to us once for all time.
    So are insert church here a heritic or not is a simple test. Let's start with the real presence of the lord in Eucharist and the need for baptisms for salvation. Right there you really cut done the number of churches who can themselves orthodox. Ivam really not into being polite with matters such as this. I just know are God's merciful towards us and at the same time i follow the life insurance policy that is the bible. The policy laid out there are the ordinary means of salvation and i will obey them just as he wants.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  13. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    So i read a few times the words liberal and out of date.
    So should the church change with times?
    If there is one truth and that is God how can i change the teachings of our faith handed down by Jesus.
    So intolerant for thinking Jesus is the only means of salvation and the gate too heaven is narrow.
    I believe God's word here. If you believed God's word than way call it out of touch. If you really believe in God how could you pick and chose what you believe. Cause God tells you what to believe. Even if it offend your neighbors on earth. Do you think are great Saints worried about upseting the romans or the muslims when were tortured and killed for the faith they laid there life down for.
    Tossing ideas to the side when they offend you, you a sinner before the eyes of God, deserving punishment. What authority did God give you to chose to change his word to be inclusive and political correct.
    Liberalism is cancer eating away at the Church of God. Wolves knowing the sheep in the name of inclusive and tolerance. When He returns on a cloud of glory He will look on the world and judge it according to his will not a politically correct will.

Spherelink and Lowly Layman like this.