Breaking: Bishop of Mississippi Breaks Long-Time Promise, Allows Same-Sex Blessings

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Celtic1, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

How? Given what you just said.

2. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Pray for your bishop first
    Ex-communicate him later

(in any case, nothing related to the homosexuality issue)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Just in the same way that I can call a nasty man "less than a man", or I may say of an abusive husband "he is no husband".

There's no excommunicating taking place here. At any rate, this is intimately related to the homosexuality issue, kestrel. If our very bishops are useless in defending orthodoxy and even the basics of God's creation, who else do we turn to? We must attach much importance to what they teach, as well as to what they are. Marrying active homosexuals is not bishop-quality.

Celtic1 likes this.
  4. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    I guess I called this all wrong. I am leaving the Catholic Church because of their bashing gays and marriage equality. I guess this isn't the faith for me. I did like some of the other conversations but better to know this now than before I change churches and run into the same thing.

5. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Lorie, you're looking for the sacramental unitarianism of the Episcopal Church, not true Anglicanism which this site promotes.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lorrie, I welcome you to our church. I hope you will stay with us. In the main, the TEC is very welcoming of homosexuals, a little too welcoming for many on this forum. But please be patient with us, even if your position is the correct one, which I dont necessarily believe myself, but its a complete 180 degree turn from the church's message over the past 2000 years. Give us time to catch up.

If you would like to share your opinion on how the issue should be addressed by the church, I'd love to hear it.

7. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    I wouldn't presume to tell people how or what to believe. I have son who is gay, amazing man. He is with a partner who I call my "son-in-love". I have been bashed really hard by Catholics and told I'm "not really" Catholic and that I'm going to hell because I disagree with the Church's stance. I really don't care what people believe and far be it from me to bash someone the way I was bashed because they didn't say what I wanted to hear. I have endured 2 years of that hell. I just wanted to find a parish/church/house of worship, where I could exhale. If they were welcome and I didn't have to hear a red-faced priest spitting all over in rage I'd be happy. I'm sorry if I came off nasty, I am very depressed and very hurt. It is I who should be asking for your patience. Thanks for reading this--Lorrie

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    Well I apologize. I guess I need to learn the difference. I am a little banged up from my recent "abuse" at the hands of Catholics who "care about my soul". I can very capable of agreeing to disagree but people hammering on me and telling me I am lost and going to hell is making my head hurt. :) Sorry if I came off wrong.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Lowly Layman

Great to hear from you brother! happy new year!

10. Lowly Layman

I hate to hear about your experience with the RCC. I doubt you'll hear much in the way of red-faced priests, at least that has never been my experience. As a parent, I would be greatly grieved to hear my church condemn my child to hell. Quite frankly, I think that's above its paygrade. God alone makes that decision. I pray god will bring you peace and healing and a sense of home. God bless!

11. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    Thanks and another thank you for your patience with my outburst. Happy New Year :)

12. Lowly Layman

Happy 2014!!

13. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Lorie, no need for appologies. In all fairness it must be stated that the relationship between the Episcopal Church and Canterbury (C o E) is tennous at best, and it has been rumored that it's relationship is at risk of being severed. I understand your desire to find a church accepting of your son's lifestyle, but you must understand the baggage that comes with that decision. Mainline Episcopal theology embraces Jesus as "a" way, but not "the" way, and scripture is viewed more and more as historical documents penned by men, and loaded with errors. The creeds are viewed as horribly outdated, and many individual congregations have stopped using them in the liturgy, or replaced them with the Apostles Creed. Even in my isolated, conservative Parish they replaced the response of "The word of the Lord" with "hear what the spirit is saying", believing that they can't know the actual words of Jesus. Investigate your options VERY carefully.

Blessings..............Jeff

14. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    Thanks Jeff for defining the difference. I am so liberal I keep falling off the left side of the stage so that doesn't bother me. I was a Methodist clergy at one time and I studied the creeds in seminary but they really weren't emphasized that much in worship. We did read them but pretty much stayed with the Apostle's Cred and Nicene Creed. I was OK with that, being the naughty liberal that I am. My mother was a very strict Lutheran and she probably knows more about the history and content of various creeds from her catechism class than I learned in 3 years of seminary. The Episcopal Church I attended seems more traditional, based on what you said. I am very much interested in the Episcopal Church and in my search see that they vary radically in what they believe and how the present themselves. It's not just your faith, the Catholic Americans are grumbling about splitting off into a traditional and progressive sect as there is war within the ranks. I'm just tired of being on the menu for what I believe. I have never attacked anyone and tried to be polite in debating or discussions but I can say I've been toasted enough that I'm moving on.

15. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Lorie, please understand that the problem goes much deeper than the creeds or liturgy. We're talking the authority of scripture, the deity of Christ, and the resurrection, all these things are being questioned and/or denied. As a parent/grandparent myself, I want the best for them, and to me that is eternal truth. Again, choose carefully.

Jeff

16. Elizabethan Churchman

Elizabethan Churchman Active Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Anglican Newbie
    This isn't about us telling other people what to do. We believe we have a Word from the Lord on this issue, and that is contained in the Holy Scriptures. We wouldn't presume to tell other people to do or not do things if we didn't believe that the Lord had spoken in some way about the subject. I don't know what you went through in the Roman Catholic Church, and Christians should try to be charitable and reasonable in their discourse, but one thing I do know is that Christ came to save sinners. One thing that requires is that there be such a thing as sinners, and all of us are one of those until we have been washed by the blood of Christ, and even then we still deal with our sin everyday:

Sadly, we believe that your son and others have fallen into a grave sin. That doesn't mean that we believe he is beyond salvation. Jesus Christ can wash away any sin, including homosexuality. As far as sin goes, we are all "born that way," so it doesn't discriminate on any basis whatsoever, and we all need to be washed.

Jeff F likes this.
  17. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Amen.

18. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None

I do not agree with what you said about my son at all. The way God made him is not sinful. In the interests of not coming onto someone's forum and going through even more grief, I will withdraw being on this site. I don't think I'd want to have someone coming on here and carrying on about opinions that contradicted what I believe. This is exactly what I'm walking away from and do not want to hear any longer. I have been ripped apart and I apologize for any offense or upset I have caused. I was referred here in error. I will even see if my posts can be deleted. I am learning I really don't belong in organized religion and that's OK. I love Jesus with all my heart and will continue to seek to draw closer to him. I no longer need a church to validate my love for him. Thank you for being honest, it saves us both a lot of needless conversation.

19. Elizabethan Churchman

Elizabethan Churchman Active Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Anglican Newbie
    I'm sorry to hear that. While this forum is about upholding classical Anglicanism, and I personally withdrew from most online debating a couple of years ago when I realized it was pointless and was mostly a place for people (including myself) to take out excess anger built up in their hearts, I do enjoy interacting constructively with those I disagree.

20. Lorrie S

Lorrie S Member

USA
    Religion:
    None
    I sent a request to delete my account. If anyone knows of another way to close their account please let me know. It's like Hotel California on here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.