Charity Toward Other Christian Faith Practices

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by seeking.IAM, Oct 6, 2013.

1. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    While moderating a recent thread Admin wrote,

"Historic and legitimate Anglican opinions will continue to be allowed free expression. Subjecting the faith to the opinions of the world is not something we dare presume to do. There will be a consultation on, perhaps, a more structured approach to comments about non-Anglican religions. The result will nevertheless incorporate a platform for traditional Anglican views as a matter of first importance."

I applaud forum leadership's willingness to give this matter consideration. I am Anglican, a confirmed member of The Episcopal Church. My religion, however, is Christian. I have many Christian brothers and sisters who believe and practice somewhat differently than me. They call themselves by different names. They are honorable people trying to be faithful according to their understanding, as am I.

It was Christ's will that His Church should be one. I pray that forum leadership will consider an amendment to the Terms of Service that allows disagreeing with other Christian faith practices while prohibiting speaking of their members or leaders in a derogatory or insulting fashion. Can we do this in the name of Christian brotherhood? (see signature line below).

Thomas Didymus and seagull like this.
  2. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As you know, I was quite shocked that a reference to the Pope as anti-Christ was not deleted, and that people are allowed to label mainstream Anglicans as heretics. Most intemperate. Certainly I disagree with the RC Church on, for example, contraception and papal infallibility, and on their erroneous views on Anglican orders. I disagree strongly with creationists. But I try not to be rude or defamatory.

Of course, you could say, "why only Christians?": being rude about Judaism can merge into anti-Semitism, and although I abhor various of the more extreme aspects of Islam, I would not like this forum to descend into Islamophobia.

Ogygopsis and seeking.IAM like this.
  3. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Well, the Anglican Formularies label the Pope as Antichrist.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

This is a double-edged matter. On the one hand there should not be avoidable negativity. On the other are legitimate questions of theology and validity of other churches which have legitimate value and play an important role in historic Anglicanism. John Jewel should not have been censured were he to be alive to post on this site. As previously noted there'll be an inquiry into possible ways to merge these two somewhat competing concerns. If you have your own suggestions, please feel free to offer them here.

This is not allowed, by definition. If any posts had written so please use the Report feature to alert us to them.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Where in the "formularies" does it say that the Pope is the Antichrist? And to which Pope does it refer? The one at the time of the writing? The current one? Any of them? All of them? Does that include Peter? Linus? Or does it start with a certain one? This is an especially bold claim, and I have never heard any Anglican make it before. I reject it outright.

MatthewOlson likes this.
  6. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    My suggestion has been offered. It is one thing to reference "Anglican formularies say..." (although I, too, would like a citation or reference to add clarity to said formularies) or "The Anglican communion believes..." I think it is quite another thing for a member of this forum to cast aspersions on any other individual, especially a fellow Christian. My suggestion is to treat all fellow Christians with the same regard as we treat fellow Anglicans. It is not that hard really.

I suggest:

"No derogatory comments about fellow Christians
    There shall be no derogatory statements about the worldwide Anglicanism or the Church of England.
    There shall be no derogatory or disrespectful comments about the Archbishop of Canterbury.
    There shall be no derogatory or disrespectful comments about those of other Christian faith traditions.

Formularies aside, Jesus, the Head of the Church the Author of our Salvation said,

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7: 1-2 (NIV)

I may not know so much about Anglican formularies, but this much I know: The King of Kings trumps Anglican men or women, living or dead.

7. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    A sampling of references from the Homilies:

8. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Hackney, thank you for the references. My position stands.

Christianity appears to be facing an onslaught from the secular world and from other major religion that would like to see us assimilated into their faith. Let us be united in our faith and not turn on each other.

9. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    See Old Christendom's postings in "Good News from Wales". He sails pretty close to the wind in accusing mainstream Anglicans of "heresy".

10. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I agree with that, and indeed, I started a thread examining this important topic. It is/was called "Why not Rome". You might find the final posting particularly interesting.

Incidentally there are various unpleasant RC forums which say very nasty things about Anglicanism. I would not want to descend to their levels. But reading them made me glad to be an Anglican.

11. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hmm. I was bemused to be called unorthodox and displeased to be accused of heresy.:(

12. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Thread has quickly devoled and posts have had to be deleted. There shall be no name-calling of other Anglicans here. Discuss other communions or this thread will be closed.

13. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Sad that a thread asking for charitable treatment of others has to be moderated due to lack of charity toward anyone, much less Anglicans.

I confess that I am beginning to question whether I wish to continue participating on this forum. I was invited here by a person who knew me from another Anglican forum. Recently I wondered what happened to him. I see he has not posted here in one year. I wonder why? This used to be a pretty classy place, but I think it has become characterized by a lack of respect and civility. How Christian is that?

14. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I am sorry to hear all this, but I think (unfortunately) it is to be expected on the internet. I post occasionally on Orthodoxchristianity.net's forum, and frequently the posters there attack one another much worse than anything I have seen here. I have been very upset at times by the completely unchristian behavior I have seen there, and we (Orthodox) don't have many of the problems that the Anglican Communion has at present. It's all very sad.

15. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Please don't leave. Certain posters would love to get rid of us, but it's people like you that make this forum classy.

16. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I have been tempted to leave, and I have posted sparingly lately, due to being included in what one called "posters of hatred", an epithet hurled at those who uphold traditional Biblical morality. This is simply an example of the hypocrisy and hatred of leftist fundamentalists. I have been a target of both right-wing fundies and left-wing fundies.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  17. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I have not left. I have stood by silently for three weeks while Admin "consults." ("There will be a consultation on, perhaps, a more structured approach to comments about non-Anglican religions." ~Admin)

I continue to advocate that we can discuss differences in belief without belittling those who believe differently.

In the meantime, not to decide is to decide.

18. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

Agreed that genuine Anglican perspectives and viewpoints shall be respected. I've been rather sparing in my visits here due to being uncomfortable with mainstream Canadian Anglicanism being slammed, the denomination to which I belong, be disparaged. I have felt provoked to return it in kind, and thought it best to reduce visiting and posting because of the provocation into uncharitable dialogue. I think seeking.IAM is correct:

seagull likes this.
  19. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes, and the mainstream Anglican church which I belong to seems to get a lot of criticism too. And I seem to be getting a lot of stick for my mainstream CofE beliefs. But I stay on regardless.

20. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    You mean like when you compared me and those who believe as I do to segregationists, the KKK, and termed me/us "posters of hatred' for standing for traditional Biblical and Anglican morality? So, just who is provoking whom?

Just more examples of the "tolerant" left, I suppose. :rolleyes: