Why not Rome?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by seagull, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Seeing the posts of some of our friends across the Pond is a bit sad. They've been switched off mainstream Anglicanism, because of the direction they think it's taking, and have set up their own splinter churches, not recognised by Canterbury. But I know a Church which is very welcoming: the RC Church. What's your problem with it? It is strongly against women's ordination. Not gay friendly. And (in theory at any rate) has little time for doubters. It does not insist on creationist beliefs, but does not disallow them.

I feel that I can go along with modern Anglicanism, but you don't. I wouldn't be comfortable in the RC Church, but you might.

Ogygopsis likes this.
  2. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Maybe as a history major, you should review the split of 1054 and the issues prompting it. The one constant with liberals is their claim to being "open and accepting". Problem is their acceptance is only with views identical to their own, and I wonder what your opinions and actions would be in the Anglican Church of 1940?

Jeff

3. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

No Jeff F, that's not true. And it is unfair and untrue to name the mainstream Anglican church as liberal. It is not. It is in the middle. It is only a rhetorical argument to paint the mainstream as a target. Liberal-Middle-Conservative. Liberal would be along the lines of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Community_Church

Openness and acceptance does not mean that things that attack the very foundations of that openness can be accepted. The attacks are all toward the mainstream, the mainstream gets attacked and then responds with the attempt to accommodate those splinter groups who attack. The mainstream in my diocese has parishes which would not consider female clergy and those which would for example.

4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Just as a historical note, the Archbishop of Canterbury did not assist, support, or recognize the Episcopal Church in the US initially. For that reason, Seabury had to turn to a non-juring Scottish Episcopal Church, to be consecrated. The CofE eventually came around, and will again I pray.

I find your suggestion for Anglican conservatives to leave the church insulting and an all-too-predictable liberal response to anyone who dares question their follies

5. Lowly Layman

What is really hilarious is that the reason that Anglicanism even exists as a distinct denomination is because those "conservative" Anglicans rejected the liberal innovations of the Medieval Roman church and attempted to restore the biblical character of the ancient church in England. Your suggestion that Anglican conservatives who reject the liberal innovations of this present age should take a long walk off a short pier into the Tiber shows how little you know of the conservative Anglican mind. I would like for Anglicanism to remain some semblance of its original self, I do not want it to turn into the Roman Catholic Church...or the Unitarian Universalist Church for that matter.

6. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes, I know about Seabury. But what do you pray for us to come around to? Firing all our women priests? What are our other "follies"?

7. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    But you've left the Anglican Communion, haven't you?

8. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Reading this carefully, do I take it that your fundamental objection to the Church of Rome is that it is not sufficiently biblical? As an outsider it seems to me that it doesn't "reject" scripture but has added bits to it, such as the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Immaculate Conception and Papal Infallibility. Those certainly are stumbling blocks (amongst others) for me.

9. Lowly Layman

I have never stated that I do not support women priests. The afore mentioned "follies" was not assigned to the CofE but to Anglican liberalism in general. In the US, they include the promotion and support of abortion, the blessing of same-sex marriages, the acceptance fo homosexuality as a valid Christian lifestyle choice, the acceptance of active homosexuals and remarried people in the ministry, the secularization of theology, the minimization of scriptural authority, and the rejection of traditional dogmas of the faith such as creation, original sin, the virgin birth, the deity of Jesus, his earthly miracles, and the physical and literal ressurrection. There are more but these are pet peeves.

10. Lowly Layman

No, I have attended other churches but remain an active member of my TEC parish

11. Lowly Layman

It's more than mere accretion, the RCC pushes an agenda that in clear contradiction to the scripture. That was the point of the Reformation.

12. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That doesn't really describe the CofE. So I'm still not sure what you're praying for. That we don't get like that?

13. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Specifically?

14. Lowly Layman

Yes and no, I do pray the CofE doesn't embrace those things, but mostly I pray that its leadership stops giving cover to TEC and keeping traditional Anglican groups at arm's length.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Member

Perfidious Albion
    Religion:
    Uncertain
    I would urge people to consider it strongly, the architecture, the coffee and the food are brilliant; It's quite a congenial place to be.

Also, at the risk of sounding even more facetious I have to ask re. this catalogue of complaints:
    Doesn't the Roman church currently reject all of these positions?

seagull likes this.
  16. Lowly Layman

Justification by works, the papacy, priestly celibacy, transubstantiation, etc. Again, I refer you to the Reformation.

17. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Are those in fact, "in clear contradiction to the scripture"?

18. Lowly Layman

I believe so. That has been the Anglican stance since the 16th century. Do you believe differently?

Jeff F likes this.
  19. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    As we're clearly seeing, the liberal theology stool has only one extremely wobbly leg, that of public opinion/social norms. The legs of Scripture and Tradition have been cut off and thrown in the bonfire of sin.

Jeff

20. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    On this I agree. I find a lot of open and accepting churches not so accepting of views deviant from their predominant view, more specifically traditional Christian views. I find that quite ironic. For better or worse, that is one thing I like about my Episcopal congregation...that the pew is shared by very diverse people of very diverse thought and yet we can all get along and share the common cup.

seagull and Lowly Layman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.