A series of unfortunate events

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Lowly Layman, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Hello All,
    I know I haven't really been very active online for a while. The truth is, I've been on a rather wild ride the last couple of months. I broached the subject with Admin in order to apologize for not having finished my part of the homilies project. He was very gracious and patient and even suggested that I talk about it on the forum. I stayed away from doing so simply because I didn't want to have a pity party and quite frankly, up until recently, all the emotions were too raw. But now I'm at a place where I think I can vent and yet still find redemption in it.

First my computer crashed, which is pretty detrimental since a good bit of my work is done remotely. Then, while having a meeting with my department to discuss expanding our product line and begin hiring new team members, our supervisor walked in with the HR rep to inform us that due to revenue hold-ups from the Federal Sequestration, the department was going into hibernation for the foreseeable future and that all of our positions would be eliminated by the end of the month. Funny thing is, the market had been flooded by nearly 900 lawyers because a major doc review contract had ended, so like the last guys standing in a game of musical chairs, no jobs were available in the local area. Sadly, this could not have come at a worse time for me. I had eaten into almost all of my savings 6 months earlier so that I could move closer to the office as a condition of being hired on directly by my employer after spending 2 years as a contractor. With no job and no prospects, my family and I made the decision to move back home to Georgia while we still had the money to do so. We put most of our possessions in storage and brought only what we absolutely needed across country in the back of our car and truck. While driving we hit a terrible thunderstrom that stayed with us for 5 states. somewhere in the process, the tarp and several of the bagged items that we used to protect a lot of things had been ripped so much of our stuff was ruined. My promised severance was delayed, in fact I'm still waiting for it. And when I broke my lease due to the loss of my job, I was told by the property manager that as long as new tenants moved in, she felt sure the landlords would forego $1400 lease break fee. Because the recent wildfires had displaced many families in the area, not only were they able to get new renters thay raised the rent on them by $750 a month! Then the day before we left I got a call from the property manager informing that the landlords had given it a lot of thought but decided that a contract is a contract, regardless of my own dire situation and the fact that they were actually getting a windfall that they would not have gotten but for the fact that I broke the lease. So it goes.

Any way, we have finally made it back home, but there appears to be even less work here than back in CO. On top of that, we were able to find a house to rent until we get back on our feet. Only, we've just had to vacate 1 day after taking possession of the house because the septic sytem must be completely replaced. So now my family is sleeping on my mom's couch indefinitely. And I have to drive to the McDonalds for a decent internet connection. So now in a couple of days I will be celebrating my 35th birthday with no job, no home, and no savings.

Exhale.

So that's were I am. The life I've spent a long time building has been completely wiped out in only a few weeks and now I am back at square one. So what's redemptive about all this? At every step of the way, no matter how bad things have gotten, God's grace has been there to sustain my and my family. Every prayer is, no matter how farfetched seems to be supernaturally anwered when all hope seems lost. I have found a level of trust and dependence in God that I have never known.

At every pitfall, when I have been tempted to despair, I keep hearing that verse in the back of my head, "all things work together for good for them that love God". And it's true, my God is it true. He has carried me through every trial. He is my rock and my redeemer, and he has taught me what it is to trust. Thanks be to Him from whom all blessings flow. Amen.

2. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Oh, LL, what a horrible story. My very best wishes for a way through all that. How blessed you are to have the consolation of your faith. And the enhancement to your faith that adversity has brought you (not a unique experience, I believe). Nonetheless I hope the adversity will end quickly.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Many thanks, but I am really very blessed. There are real tragedies out there, that make my transition experience insignificant. I know that there are many folks who would love to trade places with me. I am very thankful that I have my family , my friends, and my faith. I would ask for prayers that a suitable job would come quickly. Many thanks!

4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Oh wow, my prayers for you LL. I feel like you're a good person and those never go unblessed :)

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Lord have mercy! You are in my prayers brother.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    My prayers are with you. God is there in the midst of the storm; He will see you through it.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    It was very touching to read this story. Heartfelt prayers. Life takes every one of us through special journeys. I am sure it will always work out in the end.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Oh, Lowly Layman, that is just simply aweful! I wish I could be there to help comfort you and your family, and despite our disagreements, we are all on this earth to minister to each other. I hope things will get better for you.

ALMIGHTY God, who art a strong tower of defence unto thy servant Lowly Layman and his family in the time of trouble: We yield thee praise and hearty thanks for their deliverance from the dangers which lately encompassed them. We confess that it is thy goodness alone that hath preserved them; and we beseech thee still to continue thy mercies towards them, that they may always acknowledge thee as our Saviour and mighty Deliverer; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

ALMIGHTY God, who art afflicted in the afflictions of thy people: Regard with thy tender compassion those in anxiety and distress; bear their sorrows and their cares; supply all their manifold needs; and help both them and us to put our whole trust and confidence in thee; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

HEAVENLY Father, we remember before thee them that suffer want and anxiety from lack of work. Guide thy servant Lowly Layman so to use his wealth and resources, that he may find suitable and fulfilling employment and receive just payment for his labour; through thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy upon us.
    Amen.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

My goodness. Whew!

I haven't been homeless like you since the 1970s. It will get better. Trust when there is no reason to trust, believe when there is no reason to believe anymore, is something I have imperfectly learned. God be with you and your family.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  10. Stephanos

Stephanos New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Texas

As I read this I felt like it was me writing it. I understand the heart ache and anger and the frustration and sometimes the lack of hope this can cause. It is good that you have an internet connection as this helps with quite a few things. I will be praying for you.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  11. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Praying for you and family. I know the depression this can cause

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Lowly Layman

Thanks guys.

Lux Christi and Spherelink like this.
  13. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Let us pray you get better and life turns a corner in the positive direction. Remember that it's in opulence that our souls begin to die, and in struggle with the world that we begin to learn where true values lie.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  14. Lowly Layman

Hello all,
    I have some happy news to report! I was given the unofficial report that I have finally joined the ranks of the employed again, subject to a successful background check. After almost 6 months of drifting in the wind and almost no returned calls, God has blessed me with a new and exciting position. I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude for the prayers and positive words I received from the forum.

It has not been an easy go, I lost my savings, my house, and had to move across the country with no more than what I could fit into 2 vehicles. But having gone through it and now with a happy end in sight, i can look back and honestly say that God has immeasurably blessed me through it all. I know a trust in the Lord I never had, I was placed in a situation where precious little was under my control and all I could do was trust and wait. Over and over I cried to him. and over and again he answered. The words of Psalm 37 ring true, "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him"...And His response, "I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." (Is. 41:13). And today, I give thanks to God for holding my hand through this and for lighting my way even in the darkest times. And if anyone here is going through a similar journey, I say to you as one who has been there, take hope, pray, and trust in God with all your might and lean not on your own understanding. He will see you through. He has great plans for you and will not abandon you.

God bless and Praise God!

15. Lowly Layman

I would also like to say that even in the storm, God was a very present help. As I said, we lost the house we were in and God provided another. We left the bulk of our furniture in storage when we moved across country, and just when thought that I would never see it again, a good samaritan who had heard of my troubles stepped up and gave the $2000 needed to fly me back and rent a moving truck to bring everything to our new home. She only asked for a small portion to be repaid whenever I found new work. The rest she said to pay forward to others when their need arises. Thank God for her, she is an angel in disguise. God has been, and continues to be good.

Peteprint likes this.
  16. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Brilliant news! And how good that the generosity of your angel in disguise will be able to cascade on to others.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  17. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    All thanks, praise and glory be to God alone.

I'll be praying for you.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  18. Lowly Layman

Today is my first day of work, thanks be to God. Please pray that God will bless me with a successful day. many thanks.

19. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Good luck and God Bless!

Lowly Layman likes this.