What Would It Take To Join Roman Catholic Church?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Justin Haskins, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin Haskins

Justin Haskins Active Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't deny that the doctrines of the Anglican Church are closer to the original Apostolic church than the doctrines of Rome, but at what point does the "liberalizing" take over and actually become the doctrine? Based on your guidelines, one should stay in the Anglican Church no matter what they teach, even if they reject the creeds. I am not sure that is the best approach. It may be better to take these beliefs and try nurturing them in an environment where success can be achieved...I am not saying we have reached that point yet, but in the very near future, it may need to happen in my opinion.
    Great quote from the immortal Mr. Paine by the way.

2. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thanks for sharing. How would you deal with the authority issue, especially the requirement that you believe in papal supremacy and infallibility?

3. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Well I would just ignore it.

Stalwart likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Of course not, but how does it make sense to then inquire about the Roman church instead? Do your really think that worshipping the Quadrinity and a cloud of a pantheon of deities, extolling Works-Righteousness and making the very Christian faith (!) optional, makes for a less errant Church, one that a person can viably consider?

Why? Just because they are strong against abortion? So are Mormons and the Amish and the Evangelicals. The Roman bishops do love to make a big show of themselves as great big champions on this question when in fact most people protesting against it aren't RC at all. you wouldn't join the Mormons or the Amish would you? Don't let secondary issues like abortion cloud your view of the most important issues in religion which Romans abandoned many centuries ago.

Hilarious answer historyb. Thanks for the chuckle.

Celtic1 likes this.
  5. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    anytime :D

6. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    First of all, if human life is being killed and a church is ENDORSING it...that is not a "secondary issue." Secondly, I don't agree with all of your criticisms of the Church. Catholics do not worship "a pantheon of deities." Catholics do pray to those who have died before them, but that's not worshiping anyone. Lots of Protestants pray to a deceased relative and believe that they are being watched over by them...Is that worshiping a false deity? Hardly.

Thirdly, I am not at all suggesting Catholics have it all right. I disagree with much of their theology...but you are not being realistic. Whether you like it or not, if the Anglican Church at some point abandons the creeds or another essential Christian doctrine, the Catholic Church may be theologically closer to you than any remaining church groups in the U.S. (assuming you live here). The one exception could be Orthodoxy, but unless you live near one of the very few centers of Orthodoxy in the U.S., that isn't an option either. Plus, I am sure you have a great deal of theological problems with them as well.

7. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    Fair enough!

8. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Not to speak for Stalwart, but when he refers to a Quadrinity, he is talking about the extreme Mariolatry of the RCC which even the EOC rejects.

Stalwart likes this.
  9. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is a secondary issue if we consider worshipping God himself. If the Romans don't even worship the same God or understand what there is to worship, that is a larger issue than secular and temporal criminality here in the veil of tears.

Worship is defined as prostrating yourself to, imprecating another, and holding out supernatural powers to them that you do not have.

Yes it is. And if they do, they are not Protestants. To believe that you have anyone watching over you than God, and the Enemy, is superstitious.

First of all the same question applies identically -- if the Roman Church abandons the creeds or another essential Christian doctrine, then the Anglican church may be, and is, theologically closer to apostolicity than any remaining church in the US. I don't see your point. Maybe you have some news about abandoning the creeds that I don't.

Secondly if you look at the issue closely you will find that the Roman church already did abandon the athanasian and nicene creed. Oh not openly, and they make a big show about adhering to them, all the while praying to the Queen of Heaven and the Mediatrix of All Graces.

10. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    And then there is the issue of their adding the "filioque" clause to the Nicene Creed, which the EOC explicitly rejects.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm definitely thinking about it. Anglicanism has been good for me in many ways. Recently, though, being a member of TEC has been horrible for my witness. ACNA (at least in my city) is basically Vineyard with vestments, and that's not me. And I don't like the idea of being defined by what I oppose. What is more purely protestant than to say "I reject the following x number of beliefs, therefore I am Anglican instead of Catholic"? It is a bad place to be.

Edited.
    -admin

historyb likes this.
  12. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

This thread has always stood on thin ice and the last post has taken it over the edge. Disparagement of Anglicanism as such is not allowed on this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.