The Daily Office

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Sean611, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I think one of the greatest strengths and beauties of the Anglican faith is the Book of Common Prayer. In particular, i'd like to discuss The Daily Office. How many of you attend parishes that offer Morning Prayer, Noonday Prayer, Evening Prayer or Compline services or a combination of these? Are the Daily Office Services offered daily, weekly, a handful of times a year, or rarely ever at your parish?

Speaking for my parish, we only have Morning or Evening prayer services offered a few times a year, generally during Holy Week and Christmas. I'd like to see these services offered more, but since we don't have these services very often it has led me to learn these prayer services on my own.

I tend to pray the Noonday prayers, Evening Prayers and/or the Compline before bed. Generally i'm short on time in the morning and I tend to pray the brief morning Daily Devotions for Families or Individuals. I use the 1979 Prayer Book and have mainly used Rite II services. I find the prayer services to be soothing, humbling, and reflective. I think they are a great way for Anglicans do learn more about their faith and draw closer to God.

So, how often do some of you pray The Daily Office and/or what services or combinations do you like to use (Rite I or II, 1979 Prayer Book or 1928)?

The Dark Knight and Anna Scott like this.
  2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Sean,
    One of my goals this year is to make time for The Daily Office, at least several times a day. I have the 1979 BCP. Also, our Parish posts the Daily Office on our website. Our Parish does not offer the Daily Office services routinely. However, our Rector has asked that we consider volunteering to meet and lead prayer of the Daily Office at our Parish at least once or twice daily. I'm prayerfully considering it.

Peace,
    Anna

3. Anna Scott

Sean,
    I don't think you offered a comment on my thread about the Anglican Rosary. Do you find value in the Rosary or do you prefer the Daily Office only? Just wondering.

Anna

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A few years ago, I led a small group of college students and young adults in Evening Prayer (Rite II). That's when I really came to love this kind of devotion. I still pray MP and EP every day. I've used 1662 and 1928 in the past just to keep things fresh, but I usually just go with Rite I these days.

Lowly Layman, Sean611 and Anna Scott like this.
  5. Anna Scott

What a wonderful thing to do for college students and young adults. :)

Peace,
    Anna

6. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Yes, I really like the Anglican Rosary. There are so many different prayers and combinations you can use with it or you can even use your own prayers. Sadly, I generally only pray the Anglican Rosary a handful of times a week. The Rosary can be a bit harder to "connect" with at first, compared to the Daily Office, but with time I think it can become a great meditative tool. Many Catholics who pray the Catholic Rosary say it takes a good 6 months of commitment to really become "connected" with the Rosary prayers.

7. Anna Scott

Sean,
    I appreciate your comments here. I've been considering the Rosary, but I'm not there yet. :)

It's good to hear from others like you, Sean, who are farther along in their journey, than I.

Peace,
    Anna

8. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Thanks! I appreciate your comments as well!

With Anglicanism, i've just kind of dived right in! Coming from a Southern Baptist background, I appreciate the depth and traditions that are available to help deepen my faith and grow closer to the Lord. The liturgy, the hymns/music, the prayer book, history, art, and the beautiful churches and architecture speak to my soul.

Adam Warlock likes this.
  9. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    For those that are reading this thread and don't understand or know how to pray The Daily Office, the following is an excellent website that takes you through a step-by-step approach to learning it (this is the website I used and I learned the basics under an hour). Not only is it an excellent tutorial, but the page has links to online Prayer Books and even completely online Daily Office services for those who don't have a prayer book or need more help learning it.

http://stgeorgesardmore.wordpress.com/the-daily-office-tutorial/

10. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    The Society of St Francis put out an extract of the daily office with specific prayers and rites for Franciscans I often use that instead of the prayer book as an individual, I also use the Anglican Breviary, and sometimes when I am travelling I use the Divine Office iPhone application which is based on the Vatican II updates to the Latin Breviary. All good references for group and individual prayer. During the week I make sure I complete Lauds, Sext, Vespers and Compline, on weekends I just complete Lauds, and Compline as well as the Eucharist on Sundays and daily if I am working in the city. Our local Parish offers Morning Prayer daily except Sunday, but does not do Evensong.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you! It was such a privilege to have that opportunity. I was working at a local college at the time, and there were a few Anglicans there. They wanted some kind of midweek meeting, so I approached our priest about starting an Evening Prayer group. He was excited and gave us all kinds of encouragement. Twenty-somethings from both TEC and ACNA were involved, as well as non-Anglican Christians who found that a vespers service was a nice alternative to the usual college night scene.

All in all, it was sublime.

I saw that you are considering getting the Office established at your parish. That is great! :)

12. Anna Scott

Mr. Knight,

I wish my son had met someone like you when he was in college. He came home telling me about a preacher who came to his campus telling the college students they were all going to Hell. Hell was the focus of his preaching. Must have been a fundamentalist type. Scare tactics can be so damaging. It was a huge turn off for my son.

Peace,
    Anna

13. Anna Scott

Adam,
    These guys turn up where ever they can draw a crowd, big or small. I haven't encountered one who identified himself as a follower of Pelagius. I think you were wise to forgo the theological engagement. Most of these preachers expect a one-way flow of information.

Hopefully, Sean won't mind the sidebar.

Peace and blessings to all,
    Anna

14. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    This link is also handy if you have access to a iPad or computer when saying morning and evening prayer. The readings are all from the revised common daily lectionary.

15. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I prayed The Daily Office (Morning and Evening Prayer) from the Book of Common Prayer (1979) for several years. After my nod to Catholicism, I switched to The Divine Office (3-vol. version published by Collins of the U.K., approved for use in Australia, England and Wales, Ireland, and Scotland, 2006; known online as Universalis.com).

...Scottish Monk

Gordon likes this.
  16. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican

I believe that is the same as the iPhone app I spoke of in the Anglican Breviary thread... again a man after my own heart.