Experimental Liturgies, New BCP?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Sean611, May 18, 2012.

1. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    This question is for those of us in TEC(or anyone who can answer this queston). On other forums, i've heard mention of "experimental liturgies" that are floating around in TEC. These "trial liturgies" are said to move away from trinitarian christianity and will mostly be included in TEC's new BCP. My question is, has anyone ever heard of these new "liturgies" and has anyone heard of a new BCP being worked on?

I did a search and couldn't find anything about any new "liturgies" or for a new BCP. Is this "smoke and mirrors" from TEC detractors or is there validity to any of this? With all that has happened in this church, i've never heard a Bishop (with the exception of Spong) or priest deny the trinity, at least publically. Thoughts??

2. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Oh great.

I hope someone knows more than I do about this, and thus can speak more authoritatively. It is my understanding - based on something I heard about a year ago - that there will be no new BCP for the foreseeable future. I think that it takes the approval of two General Conventions to authorize a new BCP, and I haven't seen anything official about replacing the BCP.

I think that the easiest out for the liberals is to create & allow these bogus alternative liturgies, while not making them official or required. At least then I can convince myself that "it'll never happen in my parish" and go on with my day. If this becomes a required reality, though, I'll be the first one out the door. And if the liturgies (or a new BCP) deny the Trinity, that's the last straw. Denying the Trinity is as bad as it gets. I've never heard a non-Spong bishop or priest take such a stance either, however. If they go that route, words cannot express how upset I'd be.

3. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Update: I just took a look at the GC site, and the only changes currently announced to the BCP are a handful of lectionary changes related to the use of the RCL. Alterations to the Book of Occasional Services will also be considered, along with Enriching Our Worship (about which I know nothing). I didn't see anything at all about a new BCP, thankfully. The rumor that you heard is basically a nightmare scenario for me :D, so here's hoping (and praying) that it never comes to pass!

4. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Yes, changing the BCP is a very slow process and one that would take several years, perhaps even a decade or so. The fact that there is nobody working on a new BCP probably means that it's not something we will have to worry about for a decade or more. While some see fault with the '79 BCP, I see no reason why it would need to be updated or changed. Also, I believe approving a new BCP takes a big majority vote to make it official, I can't see most Bishops, even socially liberal ones, allowing for liturgies that deny the trinity or abandon the creeds.

Yes, I agree, it seems that allowing "alternative" liturgies is their easiest out. Kind of like the rite for same sex blessing, it will be the official rite for gay blessings, but it will not be required of any diocese, parish, or priest to perform or use the rite in their diocese or parish. As long as it's never forced upon us, I can live with it.

Hopefully, these are only rumors started by disgruntled former Episcopalians.

5. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I have not heard of these liturgies. The only rumor I have heard about the next BCP is that a decision has been made to remove the filioque from the Nicene Creed to revert to the creed in its original form. I do not know if that is true although I read it on the internet so it must be true? :think:

6. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Okay, I believe i've finally figured out what the "fuss" is all about. The leadership of TEC sent out a survey to lay and ordained members of TEC to ask about revising The 1982 Hymnal. Laity under 29 strongly reject/oppose any changes or revisions made to the Hymnal and the elderly in TEC strongly reject revision, as well. The middle-aged were the most supportive of changes (unsuprising since the leadership of TEC is the middle-aged group).

As far as clergy, for those under 30, nearly 2/3rds reject any revision to the Hymnal. In fact, the only demographic in the clergy to favor revision is female priests.

The survey also found that the youth, both clergy and laity, strongly support traditional Anglican worship and hymns, rejecting the "middle agers" idea of having modern worship and forsaking ancient practice. Most of the youth in the church feel strong enough about this subject to leave the church if modern worship takes over. Looks like there is hope afterall!!!

Here is the link, many of the comments after the editorial show a strong distrust of the national church leadership, as well as rejecting liberal protestant theology, and these are socially liberal Episcopalians!! I think that the moderates and the conservatives left in TEC need to reach out to this large demographic of socially liberal/theological conservative Episcopalians in order to change the direction of TEC.

http://thecuratesdesk.org/2012/05/15/dont-do-it-for-the-kids-of-hymnal-revision-and-young-adults/

Anna Scott likes this.
  7. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sean611...

Thank you for the demographic report on TEC hymnal.

...Scottish Monk

8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    The main thing that bought me back to the Anglican Church was the rich liturgy... If I wanted a modern happy clapping church I would go to Hillsong... :)

Scottish Monk likes this.
  9. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Sean,
    Thanks for the link and info. :)

10. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    There's a host of altnerative liturgies, such as "Enriching Our Worship" but these are alternatives. The official liturgy of TEC is the 1979 Book of Common Prayer.

11. Anna Scott

Resolutions regarding changes in Liturgy proposed for General Convention 2012
    http://www.generalconvention.org/gc/resolutions?by=topic&id=18
    A048 Form Congregational Song Task Force
    A049 Authorize Liturgical Resources for Blessing Same-Gender Relationships
    A051 Continue Trial Use of Holy Women, Holy Men
    A053 Authorize Liturgical Materials for Honoring God in Creation
    A054 Authorize Rites and Prayers for the Care of Beloved Animals
    A055 Authorize Daily Prayer for All Seasons
    A055 Authorize Daily Prayer for All Seasons
    A056 Continue Revision of the Book of Occasional Services
    A057 Authorize Enriching Our Worship 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
    A058 Continue Addressing Christian Anti-Judaism
    A059 Revise Book of Common Prayer for Revised Common Lectionary
    A060 Continue Work on Liturgies for Adoption of Children
    C040 Open Table Liturgy

All Resolutions: Link: http://www.generalconvention.org/gc/resolutions

12. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Anna Scott...

Thank you for sharing the TEC proposed changes in Liturgy, including the scripture revisions in the BCP.

...Scottish Monk

13. Anna Scott

You are most welcome. The link I provided gives a list of all the Resolutions and you can click on each one to read the particulars.

Anna