Your thoughts on 'Born Again?'

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by seagull, Aug 24, 2013.

1. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In other forums I came across "born again Christians". Doubtless there are some here. But I remember an elderly Rector I used to know who recounted a challenge to him: "have you been saved?", to which he replied, "I hope I am in the process of being saved".

Now there are various people who claim to have been converted because of a one off religious experience. The late Bishop Hugh Montefiore was one. But others of us took our time. I was born and raised in the CofE, and then lost my faith at the age of 21. It took me thirty five years to return. About thirteen years ago I started going to church again, occasionally, not because I had any great degree of belief, but because I enjoyed it. Then in one sermon, it seemed as if the Vicar was addressing me directly, along the theme of "come back and joined us". Well, yes, I thought, and took communion for the first time in decades.

But looking back I think of a phrase from the (revised) eucharist service, "when we were still far off". About thirty years ago, when I was very much a non-believer, I had what was, I suppose, a mid-life crisis, and looking back, I think I was steered/led through it, by, quite probably, the Holy Spirit. God knows why!

Cable likes this.
  2. Cable

Cable New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Your story reminds me of Christ's words to Nicodemus, immediately following his use of the term "born again": The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.