Your Favorite Passages or Verses from the Bible?

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Pax_Christi, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Pax_Christi

Pax_Christi Member

United States
    Religion:
    Protestant Christian
    I feel that it should be good for us to meditate on Scripture! :) We can share verses or passages that touched us during any time of our lives.

[​IMG]

• The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want
    • He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    • He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    • Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou are with me; they rod and thy staff they confort me
    • Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    • Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Although this is no doubt a very popular passage, it's what I wanted to share. When I was a child, I would sometimes say this passage when i was afraid. It always gave my comfort :)

Liturgyworks, Shaun and Toma like this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is a good thing to share our favourite Scriptures. Let no one make a debate, or argument, or contention out of this thread, for it goes down to the most golden regions of each individual human heart.

Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth.

Oh great joy! What glory, to know that there is a LORD who created every last thing. He made those we love and those we hate; those we know and those we don't know; He sustains every atom, nucleus, galaxy, car, and shoe in existence, as well as us and the angels! It's all His, and comes from Him. :)

John 1:1-14 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was with God ... and the Word became Flesh and dwelt among us.

Holy beauty, to know that God Himself so loves the world - even the sinners with the darkest hearts and minds - that He actually came into it! Eternity's dwelling is with us in time! Infinity's house is shrunk into our nature! He blesses and sanctifies and consecrates all creation by this Incarnation.

John 19:30 - And when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said "It is Finished", and bowed His head, and gave up His Spirit.

All that we have and all that we offer was not enough to fulfill and accomplish the love of God. Only That One who Is Himself the Alpha & Omega can do it all. He has done it for us.

Revelation 5:13 - And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

This is probably my favourite verse in the whole bible. It gives us the exact picture of eternity. This is what the Lord Jesus, our friend and brother and king and saviour and lord and master, is experiencing right now as the Divine Wisdom of God. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are worthy to receive all praise.

Liturgyworks, Shaun and Pax_Christi like this.
  3. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Two of my favourites

1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Psalm 46
    1 God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
    though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;

3 though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble with its tumult.

Selah

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.

5 God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved;
    God will help it when the morning dawns.

6 The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter;
    he utters his voice, the earth melts.

7 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our refuge.

Selah

8 Come, behold the works of the Lord;
    see what desolations he has brought on the earth.

9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields with fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God!
    I am exalted among the nations,
    I am exalted in the earth.

11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our refuge.

Selah

Liturgyworks likes this.
  4. Joan Lucia-Treese

Joan Lucia-Treese Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episopalian
    Micah 6:8 and Psalm 15

Liturgyworks and Gordon like this.
  5. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Truly someone who has that God experience....

I love both the readings...

I believe that as members of religious orders we get to look at the Psalms and our readings in some special ways, not that those who do not belong to religious orders cannot do the same thing.

The Psalms play a big part in my prayer through the Daily Office and my personal prayer time and Lectio Divina does also.

Your attitude to prayer and scripture is so refreshing.... :)

6. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    "My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation. He is my fortress, I will never be shaken" Psalm 62:1-2
    :)

Liturgyworks, Pax_Christi and Toma like this.
  7. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
    1John 5:13

Jeff

Liturgyworks and Toma like this.
  8. Joan Lucia-Treese

Joan Lucia-Treese Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episopalian
    Thank you! As a Benedictine Oblate, I love the Psalms. I don't read them as often as I should but I'm working on it. The Micah passage to me sums up the Scriptures perfectly.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

John 11:25 - "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection and the life. He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live

10. Hermas

Hermas New Member

Religion:
    Eastern Orthodoxy
    Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full. (Qo 1:17)

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. (Ge 2:18)

Liturgyworks and Lowly Layman like this.
  11. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Acts 2, xv. "You are wrong to think that these people are drunk. After all it is only nine o'clock in the morning".

Liturgyworks and Hermas like this.
  12. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” (John 10:27-30, NIV)

Liturgyworks, Shaun and Pax_Christi like this.
  13. Shaun

Shaun Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Great thread.

Here is one of my favourtie pieces of scripture, I stumbled across it the week before my Baptism date as I was sat reading my UCB Word for Today devotional. I used it in my speech to the congregation before the ceremony began.

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known. Along unfamiliar paths I will guide them. I will turn the darkness into light before them. These are the things I will do, I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16 NIV

This piece of scripture spoke to me in the sense that I am the blind, I was the blind before my Baptism 2 years ago. This scripture was telling me, you are blind but come to me and I will lead you. Along paths of which you have no familiarity with, a righteous path. You have led a life of wrongdoing and evil but there is another path, you do not need to remain on the wrong path, the devils path. I will open your eyes if you allow me to, when you are ready I am here, I will not give up on you. I've got your back.

eirna and Liturgyworks like this.
  14. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I have always like the Book of James

Liturgyworks and Shaun like this.