worshipping where there is no parish

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by james sandifer, Feb 15, 2015.

1. james sandifer

james sandifer New Member

Hello All,

I and my wife are Anglicans who have lived as expats in places where there was no local Anglican parish and are considering returning overseas once more (China to be clear). I am fairly Anglo-Catholic in my theology, and I missed the sacraments dearly in my time overseas. I am curious if anyone has any advice for Anglicans who wish to worship without the presence of presbyters or communion rails?

Anne likes this.
  2. Deacon Johnson

Deacon Johnson New Member

Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
  3. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Traditionally, in a time of trouble, or when it was impossible to obtain the services of a cleric, Anglicans read the Daily Offices. This was done when the Church in England was banned, or otherwise unobtainable! I'm talking about the struggle against Calvin ,1640/1660 and against Latitude in 1689/ 1805. Even when I sometimes attend a Church within the Fold,,( Orthodox or even Roman,) I never receive unless invited.In protestant churches just prayers.
    One can lose nothing, scripture shows that and two thousand years practice leans towards a strict Catholic understanding of the uniqueness of the sacraments. God Bless & Family in your travels and your new membership of the Anglican Forums.

Peteprint likes this.
  4. james sandifer

james sandifer New Member

Thank you both for your replies!

First, thank you for the welcome. It's good to be known and to know my greater Anglican family.

I have been reading the Daily Office for the past few months and have found it to be deeply enriching. I expect that to be all the more evident this next venture overseas as I continue in both the rhythm and the connectedness it offers us. I appreciate the advice of clinging to our Common Prayers for what may lack in terms of local church.

Deacon Johnson, I value access to hymns and canticles spoken and sung, so if nothing else, the cradle of prayer will come to be an asset to my personal and familial worship.

highchurchman, I hadn't pondered the effects of the struggles you mentioned on church life. More reading to add to the bookshelf, it seems! I would agree, too, that there is something unique to the sacraments that would be utterly lacking were I to lightly receive without consideration. Matters for prayer and conviction, all.

Again, thank you both.