Why This American 'Soldier of Christ' Is Fighting ISIS in Iraq [ABC News]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Feb 25, 2015.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Why This American 'Soldier of Christ' Is Fighting ISIS in Iraq

Feb 24, 2015, 12:45 PM ET
    By Terry Moran

abc_brett_christian_soldier_against_isis_tight_jc_150224_16x9_992.jpg
    Army veteran Brett, 28, who requested that ABC News not use his last name to protect his family back home, has been fighting against ISIS in Iraq to protect the Christians and others in this part of Iraq who have been terrorized by the militant group's onslaught.

He is 28 years old. Detroit born and bred. An Army veteran. And now he is a self-described "Soldier of Christ" back in Iraq, fighting ISIS on the front lines.

"People ask me, 'Why you?' I come back and I say, 'Why not? Why just me? Where's everyone else at?" said Brett, who requested that ABC News not use his last name to protect his family back home.

"Jesus says, you know, 'What you do unto the least of them, you do unto me,'" he added. "I take that very seriously."

ISIS: Trail of Terror
    ISIS Recruiters Run Up Against Virginia Imam Working to Counter Their Message
    ISIS-Bound Schoolgirls Showed 'No Risk of Being Radicalized or Absconding'

Brett returned to Iraq six months ago. In 2006-07, he served in the infamous "Triangle of Death," where he said he was badly wounded in an IED attack on his Humvee.

He came here, he told ABC News, to defend the defenseless -- to protect the Christians and others in this part of Iraq who have been terrorized by the ISIS onslaught: driven from their homes, massacred, their women and girls raped and sold into slavery.

He is of Irish and Polish descent, raised Roman Catholic and now describes himself simply as a Christian.

Brett fights alongside a small, local Christian militia -- the Dweikh Nawsha. They are under the command of Kurdish peshmerga forces in this part of Iraq.

From Brett's forward position, in the deserted Christian village of Bakufa, about eight miles from the outskirts of the city of Mosul in northern Iraq, you can see the black flags of ISIS whipping against the sky in a stiff winter wind.

We joined him there to hear his story.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/american-soldier-christ-fighting-isis-iraq/story?id=29171878