Why not Rome?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by seagull, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Romanism is antiChristian religion, quite simply. To think of Romanism as an equivalent of Anglicanism shows both an ignorance of Anglicanism and of Rome.

Old Christendom likes this.
  2. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    By which you mean that we're not creationists and that we accept women priests?

3. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Come on. You are talking about our Beloved Sister Church, the largest Church in the world, accounting for half the Christian population. It does not to my knowledge "reject the scriptures"; it follows the Nicene Creed and is strongly Trinitarian; the historic episcopate is of fundamental importance to it. As are the sacraments. How that makes it "anti-Christian" I really don't know.

But then according to various of you, I am apostate and have turned my back on God, so who am I to talk?:think:

MatthewOlson likes this.
  4. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes and no, and I don't believe that the examples you cite are specifically in breach of scripture.

On balance I opt for consubstantiation rather than transubstantiation, but it is neither more nor less scriptural. I am not in favour of priestly celibacy but I gather that that is convention (a "house rule") rather than dogma. I can't see that the Papacy is any more anti-scriptural that the Archbishopric (of Wales, Armagh, Canterbury, etc).

The reason I'm not RC is that I don't go along with some of their Marian doctrines; nor Papal infallibility; nor various of their teachings on matters sexual; nor the last Pope's hostility towards Anglicanism. But I still regard them as a sister church; an elder sister.

5. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A further thought. Is having the monarch as the "Supreme Governor" of our Church anti-scriptural?

6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

No. Why would it be?

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Thread closed. Opening threads to bait other members and advocate other churches is not allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.