Why be Anglican and not Catholic?

Discussion in 'Questions about Anglicanism' started by Achilles Smith, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Who's they?

That's a matter of discipline, not doctrine.

Furthermore, in a Baptist church you'll find even less hope for discipline; actually none at all: there is no formal way to actually put down a heretical parish/congregation. There is no teaching on discipline, correction, and ecclesiastical punishment.

In the Anglican context especially in orthodox jurisdictions like ACNA and the Continuing Churches, it is practically impossible to be a heretical parish and escape the ire of your bishop. When one recent ACNA church started getting a little friendly with TEC, the Archbishop publicly rebuked and condemned them even for that, before they did anything wrong. This would be impossible in the Baptist context where you'd have no recourse to any kind of discipline whatsoever. If you are hungry for better discipline toward godly doctrine, then you're more likely to find it in the Anglican context than anywhere else, in this weak world of today's 21st century Christianity.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican

Every day I pray "Lord Jesus Christ, save me a sinner."

Does wonders when we remember our place in the universe.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Aidan and Lowly Layman like this.
  3. DouayJamesGeneva

DouayJamesGeneva Member

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    I sometimes pray that on the cruciform beads of the Anglo-Rosary.

By the way, I hope you people are not offended by me and apologies if I sounded harsh or cold. I am just going through another spiritual shift in my life and am trying to figure these things out the best I can.

4. Cameron

Cameron Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Offence is only a small thing. More importantly, we ought to pray with you so that we can all understand each other. The human weakness is truly our inability to understand each other when we are all, so very much, alike.