Which church should I say I'm part of?

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Rjm05, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Rjm05

Rjm05 New Member

England
    I don't know if anyone can help. I have a puzzling question. I was brought up as a member of the Church of England until I met my ex husband. He was a strict Roman Catholic and I was persuaded to join the Catholic Church. After a number of years the marriage broke down and we divorced. I no longer went to the Catholic Church and reverted back to my roots. My question is will I always be regarded as Catholic or can I now say I am Church of England? I understand the formal process of defecting from the Catholic Church has been abolished so I assume I can switch Church without having to formally declare anything.
    Thank you...

2. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Catholic Church will always regard you as Catholic. But I wouldn't consider that binding on your consistence, I am also canonically Catholic but prefer to attend a CofE church. Personally, I became tired of the thousands of doctrines and dogmas that make no sense. Look them up and decide for yourself. Do you believe the Pope is infallible for instance?

The Church of England welcomes anyone, and the official position is that you can receive Communion if you would normally do so in your own church.

Brigid and PotterMcKinney like this.
  3. Rjm05

Rjm05 New Member

England
    Thank you Peter!

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    The Church of England, (Anglican), IS catholic, but not Roman Catholic. Anglicans are catholic (meaning of the universal church), but Reformed, (meaning reformed and no longer accepting all the doctrines of the Roman Catholic church or the authority of its Popes). Anglicans only accept the doctrines which can be supported by the 66 books of The Bible.

I think there is a service of acceptance into the Anglican church, but if you were baptized in the C of E then you are still a full member of the Anglican church. Once 'in' always 'in' but you might need to make amends for 'going over to the enemy :laugh: '. Do something very Anglican, like 'taking a collection', or putting on a flower show. That'll fix it OK. :yes:

Brigid, Dave Kemp and Magistos like this.