Which Book of Common Prayer?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Scottish Monk, May 23, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    As I settle in with a new Anglican church (ACNA), I am thinking I should look for a more traditional Book of Common Prayer (BCP). I currently own two copies of the 1979 BCP published by Oxford University Press. The burgundy hardback is pretty much marked up and frazzled, while the smaller blue leather copy (with my name engraved in gold letters), still resides in the original box as presented to me during my earlier Episcopal days. As of yet, there are no prayer books in the pews of the new Anglican church. And, quite frankly, I have not had the time to quiz the clergy from the mother church as to which BCP to use. So far, the liturgy is printed up each week and passed out as we enter the church.

Thus, I am thinking maybe I should purchase either a 1662 or 1928 BCP.

Cambridge University Press published a nice line of 1662 BCPs back in 2006. I really like my collection of Cambridge Bibles and the Cambridge Enlarged Edition 1662 BCP in brown goatskin leather (ISBN 978-0-521-69151-2) is starting to tempt me. However, there is a good chance the new Anglican church in my community may not go with the 1662 BCP. Perhaps the frugal choice would be the Cambridge Enlarged Edition 1662 BCP in burgundy hardback (ISBN 978-0-521-61242-5).

On the other hand, either the Anglican Parishes Association 1928 BCP in red hardback or the Oxford University Press 1928 BCP in burgundy hardback appear to be front runners for 1928 BCPs available here in the U.S.

Are there other editions to consider?

Or should I wait?

Please give me your suggestions.

...Scottish Monk

2. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    The mist is beginning to lift on the question of which BCP to use in the new Anglican church I am attending.

At Bible study, I noticed the following printed at the end of last week's liturgy program:

We are indebted to the Anglican Mission in America for providing our
    communion liturgy, which is its revision of the service from the
    1662 English Book of Common Prayer.

...Scottish Monk